Dog Photography

Thank you all! got the lights tonight after work had my friend come over to stand there for me and hold my puppy and had her model by herself haha. Such a good sport she is! I had so much fun, will post results tomorrow evening

I just want to put some fun ideas in your head to also play with. I'm sure you've heard of 'Little Friends Photo' - the guy who shot all those wonderful underwater dog shots? He also does some excellent lifestyle shots of dogs. Check out some of his "on-land" photos here; Little Friends Lifestyle Pet Photography by Seth Casteel - Underwater Dogs, Los Angeles Pet Photography, Chicago Pet Photography, Los Angeles Dog Photography, Chicago Dog Photography, Underwater Dog Photography, Diving Dogs for some great ideas.

I'd do the formals that you want but also some fun stuff.

Good luck!!

6. Stay at the dogs level.

Yes.

Dogs really respond to eye contact and they can tell if you are disinterested in them. I always say shooting dogs is a lot like shooting children, you've got to get down on their level and engage them so they trust you before you can get any really great photos.

Dogs sitting still? Not very often, in my very limited experience.I'd first have the owner take them out and play fetch, or 'chase', or 'hose', or whatever, to tire them out first. It would be the perfect opportunity for some great action shots. Then, head indoors and when they plop down on the floor, get those shots as well. Maybe stir them up a bit with a toy while indoors and get some shots like that, if you can.

^^^ Pretty much what he said. Get the pup to a dog park for a while and take some action shots while you're there. Good luck.

These dog portraits are lovely! I've taken quite a few of my dog but she is fat and lazy and barely moves. :)

Most reactions

Back