Donating some lenses. please read CAREFULLY. (very)

I vote yes on the restraining order for number 3.

Win!

lol

Yeah, I see your point. That would be difficult to judge since they are so similar.

As to #3 send me their address and I'll take my 150-500 over there ;)

I say... no poll, no voting. You decide.

Otherwise, I think you're gonna open a huge can of worms.

Pixmedic...

write down the names on small pieces of paper.. drop them in a paper sack..... shake them up. Reach in, grab one... send a lens... repeat!

Also have to say this is wonderful of you! It should really be helpful to someone starting out... and needing some glass! Kudos!

cgipson1 said:
Pixmedic...

write down the names on small pieces of paper.. drop them in a paper sack..... shake them up. Reach in, grab one... send a lens... repeat!

Also have to say this is wonderful of you! It should really be helpful to someone starting out... and needing some glass! Kudos!

I may have to resort to that. :)

I concur that this is an exceptional gesture on your part. And, as a "poor" single mom with two boys in college, I was sorely tempted to respond. But the truth is, I'm doing just fine with what I have, and while I may not be able to drop money on whatever I want, I've been able to add things here and there. I *might* just be needing to replace my 70-300 pretty soon, which means I'll be without that range for a while (that's a story for another day!! and it DOES still work, for now...). Overall, there are just too, too many people out there who have more desperate situations and "lacks" than I have.

I'm blessed, with or without a lot of financial means, and I know it...also, I have a fine Tokina 100mm macro lens!! :lol:

However, I must say, I think a poll would be highly entertaining for the REST of us, and would resolve nothing for you. Unless you get some that are just stand-outs, I like the "throw 'em all in a hat" idea.

But, I was REALLY hoping at the end of this thread to hear that the lenses had gone to people who were truly in circumstances where a gifted lens could really make a huge difference to them.

If it was me, I'd wait another week or so, keep bumping the thread and see who else might come along. For one thing, perhaps those who might be most in need of them don't even have internet at home, and won't see this until tomorrow, at work or at the library.

sm4him said:
I concur that this is an exceptional gesture on your part. And, as a "poor" single mom with two boys in college, I was sorely tempted to respond. But the truth is, I'm doing just fine with what I have, and while I may not be able to drop money on whatever I want, I've been able to add things here and there. I *might* just be needing to replace my 70-300 pretty soon, which means I'll be without that range for a while (that's a story for another day!! and it DOES still work, for now...). Overall, there are just too, too many people out there who have more desperate situations and "lacks" than I have.

I'm blessed, with or without a lot of financial means, and I know it...also, I have a fine Tokina 100mm macro lens!! :lol:

However, I must say, I think a poll would be highly entertaining for the REST of us, and would resolve nothing for you. Unless you get some that are just stand-outs, I like the "throw 'em all in a hat" idea.

But, I was REALLY hoping at the end of this thread to hear that the lenses had gone to people who were truly in circumstances where a gifted lens could really make a huge difference to them.

If it was me, I'd wait another week or so, keep bumping the thread and see who else might come along. For one thing, perhaps those who might be most in need of them don't even have internet at home, and won't see this until tomorrow, at work or at the library.

That is something i have not thought of yet. I guess i will see what happens today and tomorrow as to whether i think it needs to go any longer.

I think this is great, I commend your generosity....

you could also put all the names in excel, put a randomizer formula in it, hit the button, presto....winner. wash rinse repeat.

or just pick one whom you've seen post and believe they would benefit vs a random lurker who does not participate. I'd almost like to see it like mark (i think is his name) is doing with the TPF across america thread. Require the person who gets them to update and participate their progress and usage of the lens(es) here on the forum. Shows they indeed went to a good home, and you and others can help them learn how to use them as they progress.

you could also put all the names in excel, put a randomizer formula in it, hit the button, presto....winner. wash rinse repeat.

or just pick one whom you've seen post and believe they would benefit vs a random lurker who does not participate. I'd almost like to see it like mark (i think is his name) is doing with the TPF across america thread. Require the person who gets them to update and participate their progress and usage of the lens(es) here on the forum. Shows they indeed went to a good home, and you and others can help them learn how to use them as they progress.

that would be great, but once the lens leaves my house, i really have no say as to what the person does with it. They could tell me whatever they wanted, but I have no way to verify anything, nor can I enforce any agreement once they get the lens. so really, i don't want to waste any time on that end. As naive as it sounds (and is) I just have to take people at their word, and hope that they are as honest as I intended this venture to be. But seriously, I think we can all put this into proper perspective ...Its not like I am giving away a Pro lens. Its not one of the nikon "trinity" lenses, or even some highly desired super special lens. We are talking about lenses 12+ years old. I honestly have no idea what the market for them is now, I am only assuming its not a great one given the age of the lenses. The goal here is to help someone out that will make use of the them as apposed to them sitting in my closet in the spare bag. All I can do is hope for the best. And for Gods sake, if whoever DOES get the lens just fed me some story to scam me out of it, please just keep that to yourself. I would much rather just go on believing I helped someone out then deal with that crap.

How amazingly generous of you. I'm sure I could use the macro lens, but my 300mm lens and some cropping are working just fine for me right now. After all, I'm sure there are people on this forum far worse off that can't afford a lens and need one.

that would be great, but once the lens leaves my house, i really have no say as to what the person does with it. They could tell me whatever they wanted, but I have no way to verify anything, nor can I enforce any agreement once they get the lens. so really, i don't want to waste any time on that end. As naive as it sounds (and is) I just have to take people at their word, and hope that they are as honest as I intended this venture to be. But seriously, I think we can all put this into proper perspective ...Its not like I am giving away a Pro lens. Its not one of the nikon "trinity" lenses, or even some highly desired super special lens. We are talking about lenses 12+ years old. I honestly have no idea what the market for them is now, I am only assuming its not a great one given the age of the lenses. The goal here is to help someone out that will make use of the them as apposed to them sitting in my closet in the spare bag. All I can do is hope for the best. And for Gods sake, if whoever DOES get the lens just fed me some story to scam me out of it, please just keep that to yourself. I would much rather just go on believing I helped someone out then deal with that crap.

well yeah...there's no way to know. by "requirement" just meant that you can put up that you'd like it to happen, not real control over it. If it indeed ends up in the hands of a good home, then I'm sure they'd do so without a push.

;-)

Alrighty then..havent gotten any new messages in a while so maybe its safe to assume everyone who plans on messaging me has. If there's any last minute stragglers, now would be a good time to chime in.

All Righty Then...
I apologize in advance to the many people that needed the Tamron lens, but I only have one of them, so only one person can get it.
Me and the wife have decided that the mid-range Nikkor zoom will go back in the spare bag, and when we get the D7000, our D100 (with CF cards), SB-24, and 28-70 lens will be donated
to someone as a complete starter kit. As for the Tamron lens, it will be going to sm4him. for two reasons. she only has one zoom lens (a 70-300) and it is near dead due to an accident involving a hill and water, leaving her with only a 100mm fixed focal. also, after she has replaced it at some point, it will go to her son, meaning it will get double the use..and who doesn't love a two fer one deal? I know I do.

I really did not want to deal with any shipping overseas, so apologies to some people in other parts of the world. I wanted to keep things fairly local (US and Canada)
I have really enjoyed being able to help someone out, and it feels good that the Tamron lens will finally be getting used again. It is in excellent shape and im sure has many, many
years of use left on it. I suppose if we considered donating other lenses that we pretty much NEVER use, the next two lenses we would be looking at is our 18-105 VR and 70-300 VRII.
But please, don't bother messaging me about either of them, i am just speculating at this point. (we very rarely need anything past our 17-50 f/2.8, and i am preferring fixed focal lenses lately) everything else is just making the bag heavier.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is as happy for sm4him as we are, and i will have to do this again sometime. it has been fun.
oh, I also apologize to anyone that mentioned the nikkor lens, although very very few did, the wife liked the idea of donating the D100 with it as a kit so...we decided to do it that way.

Congrats sm4him :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back