Donating some lenses. please read CAREFULLY. (very)

I was shocked & amazed when pixmedic offered the lens to me. In fact, I pretty much tried to talk him out of it. Several times. ;) Because I don't really see myself as deserving of it. But then I started thinking about the fact that it may also make it possible for me to get my son a DSLR within the next year and suddenly the incredibly gracious offer seemed too good to pass up! My son is an artist, and has wanted to get into photography, but it just hasn't really been able to happen yet for a variety of reasons.

As pixmedic mentions, I HAVE/HAD a zoom, but it met with a very unfortunate accident with a large body of water. I blame the dragonflies I was stalking at the time. :lol:

Thanks again, pixmedic!! I promise the lens will be well loved, and oft-used. And kept far, far away from large bodies of water.

I was shocked & amazed when pixmedic offered the lens to me. In fact, I pretty much tried to talk him out of it. Several times. ;) Because I don't really see myself as deserving of it. But then I started thinking about the fact that it may also make it possible for me to get my son a DSLR within the next year and suddenly the incredibly gracious offer seemed too good to pass up! My son is an artist, and has wanted to get into photography, but it just hasn't really been able to happen yet for a variety of reasons.

As pixmedic mentions, I HAVE/HAD a zoom, but it met with a very unfortunate accident with a large body of water. I blame the dragonflies I was stalking at the time. :lol:

Thanks again, pixmedic!! I promise the lens will be well loved, and oft-used. And kept far, far away from large bodies of water.

Congratulations! :)

All Righty Then...
I apologize in advance to the many people that needed the Tamron lens, but I only have one of them, so only one person can get it.
Me and the wife have decided that the mid-range Nikkor zoom will go back in the spare bag, and when we get the D7000, our D100 (with CF cards), SB-24, and 28-70 lens will be donated
to someone as a complete starter kit. As for the Tamron lens, it will be going to sm4him. for two reasons. she only has one zoom lens (a 70-300) and it is near dead due to an accident involving a hill and water, leaving her with only a 100mm fixed focal. also, after she has replaced it at some point, it will go to her son, meaning it will get double the use..and who doesn't love a two fer one deal? I know I do.

I really did not want to deal with any shipping overseas, so apologies to some people in other parts of the world. I wanted to keep things fairly local (US and Canada)
I have really enjoyed being able to help someone out, and it feels good that the Tamron lens will finally be getting used again. It is in excellent shape and im sure has many, many
years of use left on it. I suppose if we considered donating other lenses that we pretty much NEVER use, the next two lenses we would be looking at is our 18-105 VR and 70-300 VRII.
But please, don't bother messaging me about either of them, i am just speculating at this point. (we very rarely need anything past our 17-50 f/2.8, and i am preferring fixed focal lenses lately) everything else is just making the bag heavier.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is as happy for sm4him as we are, and i will have to do this again sometime. it has been fun.
oh, I also apologize to anyone that mentioned the nikkor lens, although very very few did, the wife liked the idea of donating the D100 with it as a kit so...we decided to do it that way.

Like everyone else, I think it was such an amazing thing for you to come here and offer these lenses. However I think it is just terrible that you went through ALL this and then decided not to give away the better of the two lenses. I mean come on! Why even do it? I know you say at some point you'll give it away with a D100 but seriously? Regardless if less people inquired about this lens, before you attempt to woo everyone with your generosity, make sure you AND YOUR WIFE no longer need the spare gear.

:thumbdown:

lol, people are allowed to change their minds, especially when they elect to make it part of a package deal for someone.

thumbs down to you for giving the thumbs down to him.

All Righty Then...
I apologize in advance to the many people that needed the Tamron lens, but I only have one of them, so only one person can get it.
Me and the wife have decided that the mid-range Nikkor zoom will go back in the spare bag, and when we get the D7000, our D100 (with CF cards), SB-24, and 28-70 lens will be donated
to someone as a complete starter kit. As for the Tamron lens, it will be going to sm4him. for two reasons. she only has one zoom lens (a 70-300) and it is near dead due to an accident involving a hill and water, leaving her with only a 100mm fixed focal. also, after she has replaced it at some point, it will go to her son, meaning it will get double the use..and who doesn't love a two fer one deal? I know I do.

I really did not want to deal with any shipping overseas, so apologies to some people in other parts of the world. I wanted to keep things fairly local (US and Canada)
I have really enjoyed being able to help someone out, and it feels good that the Tamron lens will finally be getting used again. It is in excellent shape and im sure has many, many
years of use left on it. I suppose if we considered donating other lenses that we pretty much NEVER use, the next two lenses we would be looking at is our 18-105 VR and 70-300 VRII.
But please, don't bother messaging me about either of them, i am just speculating at this point. (we very rarely need anything past our 17-50 f/2.8, and i am preferring fixed focal lenses lately) everything else is just making the bag heavier.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is as happy for sm4him as we are, and i will have to do this again sometime. it has been fun.
oh, I also apologize to anyone that mentioned the nikkor lens, although very very few did, the wife liked the idea of donating the D100 with it as a kit so...we decided to do it that way.

Like everyone else, I think it was such an amazing thing for you to come here and offer these lenses. However I think it is just terrible that you went through ALL this and then decided not to give away the better of the two lenses. I mean come on! Why even do it? I know you say at some point you'll give it away with a D100 but seriously? Regardless if less people inquired about this lens, before you attempt to woo everyone with your generosity, make sure you AND YOUR WIFE no longer need the spare gear.

meh, its a fair cop. but "better" of the two lenses is a matter of opinion, and nobody seemed all that interested in the nikkor lens. I am also not sure what you are trying to imply by me "wooing" people. I get the sneaky feeling that noone here thinks they have been "woo'd" by me. perhaps "less people" was a poor choice of wording for the literal types here.
try this one..NOONE was seriously interested in the Nikkor lens. I think only one person actually mentioned it, and it was mostly in passing as an alternative to us just throwing it in the trash. I suppose it is technically possible that I missed a message or email, or that a message got eaten by the system and i never received it.
I offer my most sincerest apology that you feel that I have been even the slightest bit dishonest in this endeavor, as it was certainly not my intent. and if it will redeem myself in your eyes, I will make this offer. if ANYONE has a legitimate NEED for a Nikkor 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens, they can have it. And I will ship it to you on my own dime within the Continental US. It was, and is, my most sincere intent that this be a helpful project. For the record, it was never a matter of whether we needed the spare gear. When noone appeared to want the nikkor lens, THAT was when we made the decision to pair it with the D100.

EDIT: ah yes, I know what I forgot..the reason that the Nikkor lens never seemed to fill a "need" for anyone is because everyone who messaged me, except one, had the 18-55 lens that their camera would actually auto focus. maybe the 28-70 is a little better, i dont know for sure. im not a professional. but it didnt seem like a 28-70 you couldnt AF would be better than the 18-55 that you could AF. If i was mistaken, and someone needs the lens, My original offer will stand and they can have it.

Last edited:

Congratulations, sm4him!

If he changed his mind, that is his business. He did so before promising them to anyone.

That's pretty cold. The gentleman gave away a lens and all you can do is gripe because he didn't give away 2? How many have you given away? If he decided to change his mind and hold onto it temporarily that's his business.

no, DScience made a legitimate point. I made the offer of two lenses and I have obviously not given it enough time for someone to need the Nikkor lens.
Maybe my criteria for "need" is flawed and I have overlooked someone that should have gotten it. I will ask everyone again, if you need that lens, please let me know
so I can get it to you. I dont want anyone to feel that I dangled the lens out like a carrot and then snatched it back.

If most of your replies were from 3100 users (myself included), we don't "need" that lens. It would be manual focus and not much more range than our kit lens provides. For me, I only was interested for practice. Practice is obviously not a need. I agree with your decision to include it as a package for a soul who would "need" a camera and lens. Good call. My thoughts for what they are worth.

DScience may have a legitimate point but as the wife of pixmedic we were trying to do something nice, because we wanted too nothing other than that. We only changed our minds on the Nikkor lens for exactly as mentioned the need was not there. Personally the idea of being able to donate it with the D100 body to a fellow starting photographer as a kit sounds like a more useful idea, and appreciated. I am happy my Tamaron has found a new home where it will be well loved and well used just as a lens should be. Congrats sm4him have fun in your photographic endeavors. Paying it forward DScience that is all this is about. The only thing terrible here is that a friendly gesture could be looked at in such a crass manner. My bag may be one lens lighter but it is a good feeling in more than one way.

DScience may have a legitimate point but as the wife of pixmedic we were trying to do something nice, because we wanted too nothing other than that. We only changed our minds on the Nikkor lens for exactly as mentioned the need was not there. Personally the idea of being able to donate it with the D100 body to a fellow starting photographer as a kit sounds like a more useful idea, and appreciated. I am happy my Tamaron has found a new home where it will be well loved and well used just as a lens should be. Congrats sm4him have fun in your photographic endeavors. Paying it forward DScience that is all this is about. The only thing terrible here is that a friendly gesture could be looked at in such a crass manner. My bag may be one lens lighter but it is a good feeling in more than one way.

Thanks to you and pixmedic; I'm still amazed that you all would do something like that, when you could surely made at least something selling it on craigslist or ebay, or here, instead. I do believe that those blessings will return to you both many times over!

As for the idea that it's not cool that they changed their minds on the other lens...you REALIZE, of course, that they didn't back out of the decision to give it away (even though it IS their equipment, so if they HAD decided that, so what?).

In fact--and this seems kinda important to me--they actually UPPED the ante! They've now decided to give away both the second lens AND their old DSLR!! It does delay the timing, since they are still using the DSLR, but I think it's an absolutely INCREDIBLE thing to do, and I fervently hope that by the time they are ready to donate it, someone will have come forward that is the perfect candidate for it!

hi pixmedic did you get my pm?
because the pm is not showing up in my sent mailbox just to make sure thanks

Most reactions

Back