darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all.

I've managed to completely forget how to download the RAW images from my 5D. I used to use a card reader but it's since died and I wasn't too concerned - I thought I'd just connect the camera up and drag and drop.

When I connect the camera to the pc I can see all the smaller res jpegs that are shot simultaneously with the RAW images but the raw images don't show.
They're not even visible as a file that Windows can't open - they're simply not there.
I always shoot RAW + smnall jpeg and the setting has not been adjusted.

I've downloaded wia drivers from the Canon site and the microsoft tool that allows explorer to view raw images but they're still invisible.

I don't have a CF reader yet - I've ordered one but expect it'll take a around a week to reach me.

Is there any way I can get the RAW images from the card, via the camera connected to the PC??

I've never actually tried using a camera that shows up as a camera in windows to transfer RAW files but I have two possible options.

Import them directly to disk using software like Lightroom, or whatever Canon's free RAW converter is, or maybe the RAW files rely on windows knowing about them. Canon have a RAW codec for windows so that it recognises RAW files in all imaging applications. Perhaps if you install this then the image transfer wizard will recognise the RAWs? I'm just guessing here.

Google Canon RAW codec.

Thanks Garbz

I already downloaded the Canon RAW Codec and it made no difference. I have hundreds of other RAW images on my pc and even though windows can't open them, they're visible and show up as cr2 files. When i downloaded the microsoft tool that allows windows to recognise raw images the thumbnail on the hundreds I already have changed. So the pc can see them on my hard drive from previous downloads but on the camera they're invisible.

Luckily I have several other CF cards I can use in the meantime but I think i'll need to wait until I've got a CF reader.

thanks anyway
:)
David

Yeah I would then suggest go hunt down Canon's software for your camera. The Nikon equivalent Nikon View NX takes care of the downloading from the camera from what I remember, I imagine the Canon one could do that as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back