Downtown Pittsburgh

GTX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a decent camera (I used to have one of those "Cracker Jack" box types... ug...) and, quite honestly, the first shots I tried taking were of downtown Pittsburgh here. I spent most of the time messing around with the settings, and found out that "Auto" seemed to work well in most cases (go figure). Well, I got this image I'd like anyone to check out and let me know what you think. I want to learn more about photography and some tricks of the trade before I go about getting a nice, better camera.Editing is open on this as well.This image is direct from camera, no editing at all, except a resize. It's a 7.1 MP camera, so I knocked it down a bit. It's also tough to get a non-hazy picture of Pittsburgh in the summer, so I hope in a few more months it'll clear up:
pittsburgh1-082807-smaller.jpg

try not to tilt your verticals when shooting skylines. Use a tripod.

BTW, I was standing up there two years ago and took similar shots ;)

I used the railing that was up there. I noticed that too. You can't really see it on the camera's screen, but when it's on the computer... oh yeah.I think the whole platform up there is slanted. Either that or the city is slanted. :)Interesting that you've been up there too. Mount Washington, I presume? Awesome view, isn't it? :)

this one was taken on slide film by the way.

Oh wow, sweet. It looks as though you were on the exact same platform I was then.What time of the year did you take that and with what settings? Mine has a ton of haze to it... even though it seemed like the clearest night I could get. Plus, your camera was probably a lot better... lol... but still, I figure I could get a bit of a clearer shot than what I got now.Plus... if you and I both used the railing... how was mine slanted.... hmm.... odd.... I need to drive back up there again soon and try again once the weather clears up.

Edit - Geez, I look at yours, then mine, then yours.... UG... Mine sucks so bad... lol... Definitly need to work on that.

Oh wow, sweet. It looks as though you were on the exact same platform I was then.What time of the year did you take that and with what settings?

Uhm, about autumn I think. have to look it up. Settings are not saved with the file, so I have to think ... should be some aperture like 4-ish and some according shutter speed below one second. Cannot exactly remember how bright it actually was there.

Plus, your camera was probably a lot better... lol...
I guess you could buy that camera alot cheaper than yours though :p .. at least without the lens.

This was actually taken with a Canon EOS100 + 24-70mm f2.8 Sigma lens on some ISO 200 slide film from AGFA.

if you and I both used the railing... how was mine slanted.... hmm.... odd....
well, with cheap tricks like supporting it with the railing and squeezing a bit of camera strap under one side of the camera you can do it ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back