Dropped my Camera

W.Y.Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On a subway seat. It only fell from my lap to the seat next to me but it was the most terrified I have been in a very long time.

It's a Nikon D90. It isn't broken as far as I can tell. Is there any issue that could arise from this that I may be unaware of though?

Doesn't sound like much of a drop, and if everything's working now, chances are, it's okay. Electronics are fairly instant things. When something is broken, it's broken NOW. There can be problems with cracks where heat or cold will exacerbate an issue, but really that's pretty rare. If it's all good now, you're most likely okay.

Phew! Thanks. I was worried something might happen to the sensor and suddenly I'd have horribly muddled and artifact ridden images all the time.

pretty sure you will be fine. I tripped and landed on the ground hiking last year. Bashed mine off a rock (actually the lens hit first). Lens has a ding it it but all still works.

I think cameras are pretty durable. The more expensive, generally the more robust. I think lenses can take less of a beating than cameras, but they're easily re-aligned. I get my lenses checked out every year or two.

About 10 days ago I slipped on a mossy rock while crossing a stream and fell in, trying to hold camera up as I fell.
Olympus OMD 5 (with Panasonic 12-35) took a good hard knock on the base and got splashed pretty severely but the camera functioned perfectly afterwards.
(I was wet, had a painful swelling the size of half a softball on my shin and my knee ached for days - but camera was OK.)

At this point it seems like cameras are less fragile than I am.

Cameras are usually quite durable, don't take it from me digital rev trashes them every now and again ;)

About 10 days ago I slipped on a mossy rock while crossing a stream and fell in, trying to hold camera up as I fell.
Olympus OMD 5 (with Panasonic 12-35) took a good hard knock on the base and got splashed pretty severely but the camera functioned perfectly afterwards.
(I was wet, had a painful swelling the size of half a softball on my shin and my knee ached for days - but camera was OK.)

:/ owch. I hope you are doing well. Good to know that injury did come with a second injury to your bank account.

I would wonder if the lens mount flange got bent.

Thanks. I just checked and it seems good.
Yep. Without the proper tools it's easy to arrive at that conclusion.
Another member sent in a D600 for some other issue, and found out his lens mount flange was bent and needed to be repaired.

What was the issue?

A slightly bent lens mount will angle/move the focal plane. The focal plane is where the camera actually focuses. It is a plane, like a sheet of paper. The focal plane to designed to match up flush with the sensor plane. If the focal plane is moved then the lenses will focus either behind of in front of the sensor. If the focal plane is angled then only where the focal plane and the sensor plane intersect will the image be in focus.

Ohh, do I know that feeling! I tried taking a christmas tree picture with my DF last december. It was late at night and- long story short, I knocked over my tripod from knee height onto hard flooring with the camera on it. I nearly threw up!

The first thing I did was check the focusing to make sure it didn't get knocked. Luckily, the camera has worked fine ever since! And now I NEVER leave my camera on a tripod unattended!

I hope your camera is okay, Im betting if you haven't had an issue by now- your okay!

That sounds like quite an adventure! I hope you are all healed up now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back