DSLR camera under £300

ade1971

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi just wondering if this ok but I just wondering what the best DSLR camera for under £300 I hope to take up a course at my local college and get a job in photography or photojournalist. Any help would be do thanks

If you want to do a carrier in photojournalism I would advice you to invest more in a camera.
Yes you can get by with a cheap DSLR but if you will turn pro it will limit you and you probably will need to get a more advanced camera so might as well get a better one right from the get go.
If you cant afford at the moment anything above £300 then I would say get the Nikon D3200 with its 18-55mm kit lens.
I think in North America the sum you named is close to buying this camera, I wouldn't get something below it, if in the UK you cant even get that then I guess your only other choice will be the Nikon D3100 which is pretty old but I guess will be enough for the beginning.

Good luck

Hi just wondering if this ok but I just wondering what the best DSLR camera for under £300 I hope to take up a course at my local college and get a job in photography or photojournalist. Any help would be do thanks

Buying used, off eBay, there are numerous DSLRs you could opt for. For a college course you'd be OK I think with 6-10 megapixel 'crop sensor' camera, c/w 18-55 or 18-70 'kit lens', plus a longer e.g 55-200 lens. That could be done for £300. The popular cameras that are 5-10 years old, are Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax. Canon and Nikon are plentiful and easy to find a 55-200 type lens for, these are also made by brands like Tamron or Sigma.

You'll probably need a flash as well, that mounts on the camera.

Does the college have equipment for loan or use in class? If so you might ask to see if they are geared toward Nikon or Canon (if they have any its likely to be only invested into one brand). Otherwise any good Nikon or Canon DSLR will see you well for a beginners course in getting to grips with things.

You can save up and invest more heavily in lenses, lighting and camera bodies at a later date when you've more experience (indeed whilst there is merit in buying advanced gear and growing into it - if one is on budget there are many affordable and good options to consider plus its a lot easier to choose between the advanced options when one has more hands on direct experience).

I'm buying Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP, it's only $300 on amazon.
I'm new to photography and I got this for my first SLR. From the research I did, this appeared the be the cheapest good entry-level camera. After using it for a few photo shoots I am pleased. It works great for my purposes: learning how to use SLR functions and how to use lighting.

(A Rebel T3 is an 1100D)

As I said, works fine for me.

Jessops or John Lewis for £240-£270 (John lewis asked for over 300 but i told them jessops offered it for 270 and they sold me an ex display for 240 at the counter)
Get the 18-55mm kit lens. (*with* IS)

I think any entry level DSLR are good cameras for learning. And most of them are able to take good photos including those older models. Keep in mind that cameras life cycle is rather short when compared with the lenses. Lower end consumer grade DSLR only have 1 or 2 years life cycle. For the Canon XXXD or Rebel series, new model comes out every years. So those few years old cameras are still very capable.

In general, you will find more used Canon and Nikon cameras because of their popularity. And for the same reason, more used lenses and accessories are available on the market as well. When a 3rd party lens company make a lens for a DSLR, I am pretty sure they will make one for Canon and one for Nikon. And since Sony is getting popular as well, so some will also be available in the Sony mount.

And the mentioned 1100D is not bad for starter. It has limitations, but by the time you know about the limitations, you may already know how to work around them or that is the time for upgrading the camera body.

From argos you have the nikon d3100 for 280 pounds with the 18 - 55mm lens
also from argos you have the nikon d3200 for 350 pounds with the 18 - 55mm lens
from amazon.co.uk you have the nikon d5100 for 380 pounds with the 18 - 55mm lens

All are great beginner cameras and will teach you all the basics plus more just they lack extra dials but you can access most features going through menus, I use the 5100 and love it. and all has amazing lenses you can get at a later date, the lens that comes with these is actually a very good lens for the price point and is plenty to learn with. The 3100 and 5100 are quite old at least in technology terms where things change fast but are both very capable cameras. I am sure canon has plenty of choices in this range but i have no idea what canon offers.

Most DSLRs are under 2 pounds. Maybe if you had a battery grip and speedlight they'd be close to 4 pounds, but still no where near 300 pounds.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back