DSLR Camera: Which One?

thenewguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be starting a photography program at my university and I need a new camera. I am very unsure about which ones to get/ look at. Price isn't really an issue seeing as though the gov't is picking up the tab on this one. I would like one that I could use to shoot aviation shows, architecture, nature and maybe street/ portrait photography. I know it is a broad base of subjects but I am just beginning and these are what appeal to me the most right now. I will most likely swing either way in regards to Nikon or canon, never had any experience shooting a DSLR. I would appreciate any advice that you may have for me.

I will be starting a photography program at my university and I need a new camera. I am very unsure about which ones to get/ look at. Price isn't really an issue seeing as though the gov't is picking up the tab on this one. I would like one that I could use to shoot aviation shows, architecture, nature and maybe street/ portrait photography. I know it is a broad base of subjects but I am just beginning and these are what appeal to me the most right now. I will most likely swing either way in regards to Nikon or canon, never had any experience shooting a DSLR. I would appreciate any advice that you may have for me.

Tell me what program your using to pick up a DSLR for free, I'm a student and would love signing up with that!

Besides that, FWIW, I absolutely love my T3i and think its a great way to get going. In any case, at least for awhile, I suspect the limiting factor in your situation (as with most everyone initially) will be technical knowledge and skill, not the ability of the camera. Don't take offense at that, its great to pick up a sweet DSLR, especially if its free to you, but don't walk into it expecting your first shots to come out all Ansel Adams like.

Sometimes in the fine print description of the course, they will give you parameters and recommendations. Did you look there first? If not, go with a Canon 7D or Nikon D7000. Both will give you lots of room to grow.

Price isn't really an issue seeing as though the gov't is picking up the tab on this one

I'm betting they don't spring for the $7,000 body.

Get yourself down to a brick and mortar store and hold one of the entry level DSLRs from Canon or Nikon (ok, so glance at the other brands too) to see which one seems to like your hand best. They are all competitive and since you are only beginning they will all serve your learning needs well.

Read through the message threads here as there are many many "what camera should I get threads".

Since you mentioned aviation show, I recommend Canon 7D.

Nikon: F100 or F6 + 50mm f/1.4

Canon: EOS 3 or 1V + 50mm f/1.4

:lol: "D" SLR. You prideful film guy you.

I can't see a govt grant covering more than a Rebel.

Last edited:
If you can swing it, I'd also recommend the 7D. Fast/accurate focus. Weather sealed body. Etc., etc. I don't know much about the Nikons but here is a comparo.

Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000

Based on what you want to shoot, I would think the 7D has the advantage.

If you can swing it, I'd also recommend the 7D. Fast/accurate focus. Weather sealed body. Etc., etc. I don't know much about the Nikons but here is a comparo.

Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000

Based on what you want to shoot, I would think the 7D has the advantage.

Does anyone know how Snapsort's algorithm's work? Wasn't the D7000 a perfect 100 at one point?

I am enrolled in the Vocational Rehabilitation program and they will purchase anything my schooling requires for my success. The program will grant me almost anything I request if I show justification for the purchase. Seeing as though they will only purchase 1 camera for me, I see getting the best camera that suits my shooting needs the best choice as it will have to serve me well after I graduate and begin my professional photo career. I have been very attracted to the 7D and the Nikon equivalent. But I have also been warned about getting or not getting a full frame sensored camera which can benefit or negatively effect certain types of shooting...

:lol: "D" SLR. You prideful film guy you.

I can't see a govt grant covering more than a Rebel.

LOL

No I understand, i'm just putting in things like that just for the sake of it.. It has nothing to do with pride, or conversion, just to throw something in that's different.

Price isn't really an issue seeing as though the gov't is picking up the tab on this one.

Nikon D4 or Canon 1DX will probably be your best bet for action. You might even be interested in a Leica S2 or Hasselblad H4D for portraits.

^^^either of those. I'm a budget-minded college student and went with the D700, but may upgrade real soon
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back