What's new

DSLR cameras

diam0nds

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
australia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had my mind set on the Nikon d7000, until my friend told me that there is no point to pay extra for it when the d5100 is pretty much the same.
I intend on using the camera for animals, people, portraits etc.

As this is my first dslr, i dont know much about what to consider. I just want to be able to take good quality photos with out spending too much money. Which camera do you recommend for that price range?

Also what lens do you think are suitable?
 
Your friend new or inexperienced in photography?

As tho they both use the same sensor. It's still comparing Apple and Oranges.

Depending on your intended use and how often you will be shooting or how far you will delve into photography will determine the right camera to start with.

In my opinion it is a step back or at least limiting starting with a entry level camera like the D5100. Myself like many became frustrated in less than a year with the lack of those "Bells & Whistles" which I prefer to call increased Capabilities & Features.

Simple for me was wanting what a D90 or D7000 can give over an entry camera like the D5100. Things like Biggger Brighter viewfinder for easier composing. Built in motor giving me more lens choices. Faster Frames per second for Sports,Wildlife and fast moving events photography. Bracketing & Ability to take a real Battery Grip for vertical and portrait shooting as well as help balance out heavier lenses.

But the biggest thing was the ability to change a critical setting without my eye leaving the viewfinder to go menu digging. And interrupting my compositional thinking and losing time and missing the shot which happened regularly with the lack of dedicated controls on my entry level camera.

The D5100 very well may be a great camera that will last you years and is a Great Performer. Or like many like myself that it is a dedicated hobby/passion and would feel limited by it within the year. As stated above the reasons and consideration when choosing a camera.
.
 
Agree with the above. They are nowhere near "pretty much the same". That's why the D7000 is almost twice the cost. It's just a better camera in features and build. If you have the money to get it and some quality glass it's worth the extra. Otherwise I'd say get the D5100 and some really good lenses. I bought a D7000 to replace my D50 as my primary body and wish I had more money for some more pro-quality glass. I've got some good lenses and some decent lenses and I wish I had the money to buy a pro-level wide angle.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom