DSLR for lefties???

Bea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do any of the manufacturers make a nice comfortable left handed DSLR?

I am left-handed but after a lifetime of adjusting the camera isn't a problem.

Nope. There was one made at one time I think...but nobody bought it.

You're kinda SOL.

But I'm sure it can be learned...I mean...if they only made left handed DSLRs...I'd be fine with it...it's not a complex operation to push a shutter button, and perhaps spin a wheel.

I'd suggest just goin out and seeing what is the MOST comfortable with you. A bigger grip might help, since it will fill your hand better ,and take your mind off holding it so you can concentrate on the controls.

Good luck in your quest for the ultimate lefty camera.

I think that would be a great add on a dlsr! The grip could clip off and clip on to the side you want. I'm left handed and I always pick up the cam with my left hand usually smudging the screen. It would be nice for us softpaws to have a option.:thumbup:

I think that would be a great add on a dlsr! The grip could clip off and clip on to the side you want. I'm left handed and I always pick up the cam with my left hand usually smudging the screen. It would be nice for us softpaws to have a option.:thumbup:

I think the expression is soutpaw...lol. Sounds more like a reference to....well, I shouldn't say that here...lol

Lefty??? Your using the wrong hand!!! This is a right handed world!! lol.

I am a lefty and see no problem using any 35mm style SLR. My Hasselblads sometime feel awkward without the pistol grip. I actually find being a lefty an advantage. I hold with my right like everyone. My preferred hand adjusts the lens and supports long heavy lenses. I can use my preferred hand to adjust set pieces, a models hair or a background. The only issue I ever had was when I got our first D1, because I am left eye dominate, my nose would press the thumb pad and change my focus position unless I locked out the selector. Little things like that are easily worked around.

My main problem is picking it up and putting it down.....I automatically use the left hand (I'm very, very left dominate). I find the lens adj easier, but have more control and faster reflects with my left regarding the buttons.
Guess a left handed version of every camera would be costly and not sell well, that's what happens when your in the minority! But sounds like time and experience will get me more use to it.

Time and experience will do it. When I was in the service I shot left-handed until the first shot. When the hot case bounced off my forehead I switched to right-handed. When I was a kid, there were no baseball gloves that went on the right hand. It took me forever to learn to tie my shoes but now it's no problem.

Consider the Apple paradigm. You're special and it doesn't cost you anything.

My preferred hand adjusts the lens and supports long heavy lenses. I can use my preferred hand to adjust set pieces, a models hair or a background.

Even though I'm right handed, I think this is why cameras should be set up opposite. My preferred hand is performing the simple operation of pushing a button while my ambedextris-challenged hand is performing the more critical operations. OP, you should be happy that cameras are setup the way they are.

In Chicago, you're saying it wrong. The expression is Southpaw. :wink:

I thought so...lol. Softpaw is a really gross sexual fetish involving hairy creatures/people...lmfao.
Just thought you should know the actual term, so people who have heard of it aren't questioning you...lol

Even though I'm right handed, I think this is why cameras should be set up opposite. My preferred hand is performing the simple operation of pushing a button while my ambedextris-challenged hand is performing the more critical operations. OP, you should be happy that cameras are setup the way they are.

I think you have it backwards.

Your left hand is making adjustments of two things...
Zoom and focus.
You have GIANT rings...that are designed to be easy to use.

Now, with your right hand...you have the shutter, the wheel, the buttons you gotta press for focus, AE lock, Av +/-, Hmm...what else?

Do you see my point?

Neither way is really that big of a difference....but cameras are definitely easier to use for right handed people. You just gotta practice.

I guess it depends on how you learned. I cradle the lens/body in my left hand, tuck my left elbow into my abdomen for support and use the right hand to push a couple buttons and roll a dial or three. My Left hand is doing more "work" IMO.

I guess it depends on how you learned. I cradle the lens/body in my left hand, tuck my left elbow into my abdomen for support and use the right hand to push a couple buttons and roll a dial or three. My Left hand is doing more "work" IMO.

You could "cradle" a lens with a prosthetic...that's all I'm saying lol.

Most reactions

Back