difference between Iphone and dslr in quality?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what is the difference anymore? Unless you really look at the details there isn't any. also, with a lot of final images and even videos being color graded and filtered it is even harder to tell. Is the iphone the future of photography and videography?

even for video taking, attaching a stable tripod, and given the strong autofocus and not having to deal with all of the techniques that goes with a dslr like setting up manual mode, and playing around with aperture, iso, etc makes iphone the game winner, no? You can get much of the same images that a dslr mirrorless or full frame can get.

Maybe the only downside is low light?

Hi, this is not true at all, yes, most mobile phones can take decent images and with the apps to control various aspects of iso/ shutter speed etc they have further improved. That being said, there’s no mobile phone replacement for a dslr, mirrorless, crop or full frame camera.

I shoot a D850 and have an iPhone 14 Pro Max and I can confirm there’s a huge difference, there’s many write ups that would help explain the differences. A mobile camera is handy to have in the pocket but it’s no match or replacement for an actual piece of dedicated photography equipment.

Cell phone camera quality has come a long way in a short amount of time. The IQ of my Blackberry was pretty dismal compared to what is available today. The smart phone has replaced most point and shoot cameras and will probably make further inroads into the dSLR and mirrorless market. However, I don't see it replacing sports and wildlife rigs anytime soon.

However, one of the best photos I've have ever taken was with that Blackberry. Your best camera is the one you have in your hands.

M5btuNxh.jpg

From my days as a high school band director.
Check out the flair with that dirty plastic lens................lol
\

Last edited:
Take a photo with both of the same subject and then enlarge both to 24 x 36. without any post processing. You will have your answer.

If all you take is snapshots and post them in Facebook, etc. then by all means stick to a phone. A good photographer can make great photos with a phone, but the vast majority of people are only making snaps with them.

The improvements in quality photos is in the software. Better software requires more processing power. Because the phone does several things the software will never measure up to a dedicated processor in a quality camera that only does pictures.

Phones have already replaced Kodak instamatics, Polaroids and will most likely replace consumer grade cameras. But people who really care about the photos they take will keep the higher end market going.

Thanks! I am trying to decide whether to bring just a pocket item like an iphone vs a big mirrorless dslr with several lens to capture the best travel footage I can with the lightest amount of gear possible.

the only issue I may come across is shooting videos and even photos in low light when the sun sets. I don't think Iphone does particular well with that. Also audio from wind up in the alps during a hike will cause to be an issue (esp hurricane season and water around). even in city, capturing audio from honking of cars or incoming train. But I think there are accessories I can attach on iphone to minimize noise and only capture certain necessary noise and my voice recording.

I figure with a gimbal on an iphone would do the job (as it will bring moition into video). I can also use it as a stand alone tripod to capture static shots of people moving to and across the frame.

However, I am guaging to see what difference viewers will see compared to a mirrorless dslr with lens.
maybe the pixel might be better but you can pretty much get all the shots using an iphone.

close ups, wide shots, standard shots can all be done by the iphone lens by moving to and away from said subject and the gimbal helps with the stablization and will be a great talking head point for say vlogging.

add in a go pro for action live and a mini drone for those aerial shots and a great video is made with a light compact kit.

As has been mentioned it very much depends on your end goal of the product, if it’s for travel memories you’ll probably get what you’re happy with from a phone, if you’re looking at more serious post processing / editing / printing that’s where you’ll really notice a difference. If it’s for personal social, your phone will probably suffice for what you want, I personally tend to drag my equipment everywhere as I’ve had too many “wish I’d brought my camera” moments.

IMG_8806.jpeg
The_Arch_Tyulenovo.jpeg

Top was shot on an iPhone 8Plus with long exposure applied in camera. A scouting shot. The bottom was shot on the D850 and a RAW file edited for printing

IMG_8807.jpeg

Here’s the proof..

It’s not the actual picture I edited of course (#2) as that was shot a little later, I think, but it’s an example of what is possible with the “right tools for the job”

View attachment 268208
Here’s the proof..

It’s not the actual picture I edited of course (#2) as that was shot a little later, I think, but it’s an example of what is possible with the “right tools for the job”
The right tools for the job, master of none! Right on. If I was a pro I'd try to learn better processing, I'm not a pro! My son has a phone he takes ton's of photo's with but doesn't know how to get them out of it. He also has a D5000 I gave him, he never uses it. Big problem with his phone is it has a lot of zoom and the thing doesn't take good photo's out there. I would guess from what I read it's that his sensor is simply to small! But what he get's that's closer up is definately useable! I like good point and shoots for carrying around. See a good shot and if it's that good I can go back with my dslr. But this Panosonic Lumix I got is doing fine even blowing picture's way up, 13x19+. Even if I was a pro I would keep a good P&S with me all the time. I don't think the vast majority of user's even care about taking photo's they might need a better camera for, in fact I'd bet most user's know far less about fixing up the photo in the computer than I do and I'm terrible. This modern stuff is well over my head! But I do recognize a decent photo from a bad one and I much prefer the decent one. Calls for a camera designed to take pictures. Cell phone is a master of all trades but not really great at any of them other than maybe making a phone call, that's what it was designed for!

I think those of us more serious about photography tend to get carried away with camera's that can do more than we can figure out too. I think the main secrete of the better pro's is they are much better at exposure and composition than the rest of us save a few.

I suspect that an iPhone has it's place even with the pro's. Say your out on a job and need to make a phone call, can't do that with your camera! :) Ya know, I have no idea why iPhone's are even talked about much on here. Problem being they seem to be awfully expensive. My son paid something like $600 for his and as I said, hasn't a clue how to get the picture's out and print them! My P&S Panosonic sells for $597 new, I think it is, but I got mine pracrally new for I think it was $430! MyPanosonic blows his phone out of the water and ride's in a pouch on my belt. One big drawback of the Panosonic is it doesn't give me the time!

Reactions: D7K
The right tools for the job, master of none! Right on. If I was a pro I'd try to learn better processing, I'm not a pro! My son has a phone he takes ton's of photo's with but doesn't know how to get them out of it. He also has a D5000 I gave him, he never uses it. Big problem with his phone is it has a lot of zoom and the thing doesn't take good photo's out there. I would guess from what I read it's that his sensor is simply to small! But what he get's that's closer up is definately useable! I like good point and shoots for carrying around. See a good shot and if it's that good I can go back with my dslr. But this Panosonic Lumix I got is doing fine even blowing picture's way up, 13x19+. Even if I was a pro I would keep a good P&S with me all the time. I don't think the vast majority of user's even care about taking photo's they might need a better camera for, in fact I'd bet most user's know far less about fixing up the photo in the computer than I do and I'm terrible. This modern stuff is well over my head! But I do recognize a decent photo from a bad one and I much prefer the decent one. Calls for a camera designed to take pictures. Cell phone is a master of all trades but not really great at any of them other than maybe making a phone call, that's what it was designed for!

I think those of us more serious about photography tend to get carried away with camera's that can do more than we can figure out too. I think the main secrete of the better pro's is they are much better at exposure and composition than the rest of us save a few.

I suspect that an iPhone has it's place even with the pro's. Say your out on a job and need to make a phone call, can't do that with your camera! :) Ya know, I have no idea why iPhone's are even talked about much on here. Problem being they seem to be awfully expensive. My son paid something like $600 for his and as I said, hasn't a clue how to get the picture's out and print them! My P&S Panosonic sells for $597 new, I think it is, but I got mine pracrally new for I think it was $430! MyPanosonic blows his phone out of the water and ride's in a pouch on my belt. One big drawback of the Panosonic is it doesn't give me the time!
There’s certainly a tendency for GAS when you get into photography that’s for sure, but yes, mastering that exposure triangle despite the feats of modern technology and ai is key to creating a great image. I’m sure a seasoned pro could do better than me with an entry level kit or a point and shoot, it takes time to learn a craft, any craft, and you need to invest that time, as well as the money to obtain the right tools for what you need and see as a final product. A luthier doesn’t shape a guitar with a hacksaw and a nail file, or an all in one router/grinder. It’s up to the craftsman to determine the tools they require to couple with their knowledge and skill to achieve the desired end results.

As has been mentioned it very much depends on your end goal of the product, if it’s for travel memories you’ll probably get what you’re happy with from a phone, if you’re looking at more serious post processing / editing / printing that’s where you’ll really notice a difference. If it’s for personal social, your phone will probably suffice for what you want, I personally tend to drag my equipment everywhere as I’ve had too many “wish I’d brought my camera” moments.

Thanks. I mean I planned to upload it online eventually with a bit of editting and see if this is something I may be interested in doing for the foreseeable future.

I mean truly I was originally going to bring my mirrorless with a wide lens 10-24mm a short tripod pod to be able to hold for vlogging style. However, this won't solve the issue of having a taller tripod that can shoot a person walking up and down, left and right of the frame for b-roll.

Then I thought about motion, and I thought adding a gimbal would acheive that panning motion.

then I thought about the mountains and how flying a drone would give that nice mountain/sea look

adding the microphone and the wind puff along with everything else I mentioned above will be a herulean task.

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks. I mean I planned to upload it online eventually with a bit of editting and see if this is something I may be interested in doing for the foreseeable future.

I mean truly I was originally going to bring my mirrorless with a wide lens 10-24mm a short tripod pod to be able to hold for vlogging style. However, this won't solve the issue of having a taller tripod that can shoot a person walking up and down, left and right of the frame for b-roll.

Then I thought about motion, and I thought adding a gimbal would acheive that panning motion.

then I thought about the mountains and how flying a drone would give that nice mountain/sea look

adding the microphone and the wind puff along with everything else I mentioned above will be a herulean task.

Am I missing anything else?
I also take my DJI mavic 2 pro in the backpack with me… my backpack ain’t light 🤣

View attachment 268208
Here’s the proof..

That's not a fair comparison. You shot the digital camera at sunset. The lighting was totally different.

The problem I find the cellphone is the ergonomics. You can't see the screen in bright sunlight. It's hard to hold and shoot. The flash isn't as strong as P&S cameras. My pocketable Sony RX100iv digital camera has a back screen that articulates, handy when you want to shoot children or pets down low. It also has an eye-level viewfinder, handy when there's lots of sun washing out the screen. While I don't make big prints, I do make slide shows for my 75" 4K TV. It's 1" sensor is far superior than an cellphone's microscopic sensor, especially with night scenes.

That's not a fair comparison. You shot the digital camera at sunset. The lighting was totally different.
As I said it was not the same time but that shot of the digital camera was shot at around 19:30. It was just an example of what can achieved with a smartphone snap vs a planned edited shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back