difference between Iphone and dslr in quality?

@wobe I have to wonder when genetic mutation will occur in girls arm length from the selfie craze.

Now, now; there are plenty of boys & men that take selfies with the phone.

Thanks! I am trying to decide whether to bring just a pocket item like an iphone vs a big mirrorless dslr with several lens to capture the best travel footage I can with the lightest amount of gear possible.

the only issue I may come across is shooting videos and even photos in low light when the sun sets. I don't think Iphone does particular well with that. Also audio from wind up in the alps during a hike will cause to be an issue (esp hurricane season and water around). even in city, capturing audio from honking of cars or incoming train. But I think there are accessories I can attach on iphone to minimize noise and only capture certain necessary noise and my voice recording.

I figure with a gimbal on an iphone would do the job (as it will bring moition into video). I can also use it as a stand alone tripod to capture static shots of people moving to and across the frame.

However, I am guaging to see what difference viewers will see compared to a mirrorless dslr with lens.
maybe the pixel might be better but you can pretty much get all the shots using an iphone.

close ups, wide shots, standard shots can all be done by the iphone lens by moving to and away from said subject and the gimbal helps with the stablization and will be a great talking head point for say vlogging techchatter.ph.

add in a go pro for action live and a mini drone for those aerial shots and a great video is made with a light compact kit.
Hi. I know it sounds a bit ordinary but my iPhone takes a much better photo than my DSLR. I have tried many different settings on my DSLR in manual, and changed lenses and nothing helps. Do I have a dodgy camera or are smartphone just that good? Thanks for any input.

Do I have a dodgy camera or are smartphone just that good? Thanks for any input.

The answer is no to both. A camera in the hands of a skilled photographer with even limited post skills will beat a cell phone every time.

I would take a better point and shoot. I've had several and the inexpensive ones took really good photo's but broke down way to soon. Finally spent more money and got a Panasonic P&S and it takes great photo's, carry it in a pouch on my belt and only ever shoot it in P mode. The zoom on it is 25-250 and I suspect it helps with getting better photos. Doesn't weight much at all, don't even realize it's there normally.

I have found a lot of this to be mostly hypothetical. Simply because folks use the picture taking device that fills their needs. The best camera or the best phone is a moot point if all you want to do is share photos on the internet or a computer screen.

If you need some picture taking features that are not availed or too inconvenient to use, then you have a need for a different device.

My new truck has a screen full of features I will never use or need.

It is said the best camera is the one you have with you
OK in reply to the question and from just my own personal use/needs/ whatever:
DSLR wins.
Why. I have an old i phone 6, It makes calls and takes snaps of the dog/cat
my photography needs/use is: big pano's 2 meters long made up of 20 to 30 images
and big mosaic pics of over 100 images,
I push my kit to the limit and for me at least the DSLR can in most cases deliver
Ok sometimes the phone is ok but I used the I phone 6 at a wet wet consent ( the last my wife was alive for) and the image quality is so poor and i over heated the poor phone.
Well for what its worth thats my two penny's worth

I clean my lens before every shoot, how can camera phone lenses be kept as clean, just sayin...?

Uh... you don't need to do that. Years ago there was this great thread where a guy dropped a 200 mm lens glass-first onto a rock and shattered the front optic. You could barely tell in the pictures, if at all.

Hi. I know it sounds a bit ordinary but my iPhone takes a much better photo than my DSLR. I have tried many different settings on my DSLR in manual, and changed lenses and nothing helps. Do I have a dodgy camera or are smartphone just that good? Thanks for any input.

Years ago I was a senior in high school, playing an $1800 (at the time) Vincent Bach Professional Silver Trumpet. I was sitting next to a kid playing a $300 Yamaha Student Brass trumpet.

The kid turned to me and asked "Oh hey, can I try your snazzy trumpet?" I said sure, cautioned him that the silver is soft and to be careful, and we traded.

As we played, I was able to get much better sound out of the Yamaha than he was able to, but I could quickly hit the limitations of the horn and they were frustrating. Expected, but frustrating. The conductor looked over at me at one point when I had a particular part where the Bach really could shine and had a weird look on his face for a second, cast a look to the kid to my left, looked back at me, and smiled.

The kid to my left, on my horn, sounded exactly the same as he did before.

When we were done with the piece he traded back horns with me and scoffed. "You paid HOW MUCH for that thing? It sounds exactly the same as mine!"

Tools are tools. Each has properties, capabilities and weaknesses. Different materials, mechanics and limitations. Each and every tool can do the basics of most of the jobs for which all tools of that type are capable.

But unlocking the true capability of that tool lies in the artisan who wields it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back