difference between Iphone and dslr in quality?

As I said it was not the same time but that shot of the digital camera was shot at around 19:30. It was just an example of what can achieved with a smartphone snap vs a planned edited shot.
But the comparison didn't prove anything between both camera's ability because the light was so far superior for the digital camera's shot. You also processed them differently. Show us similar shots from both cameras taken at the same time, in the same light, and processed similarly afterwards. That would be worth the experiment.

Thanks! I am trying to decide whether to bring just a pocket item like an iphone vs a big mirrorless dslr with several lens to capture the best travel footage I can with the lightest amount of gear possible.

However, I am guaging to see what difference viewers will see compared to a mirrorless dslr with lens.
Just a technicality, but mirrorless and DSLR are two different cameras. "DSLR" stands for "Digital Single Lens Reflex;" the "reflex" part means it has a mirror and a prism that are absent in a mirrorless camera.

But the comparison didn't prove anything between both camera's ability because the light was so far superior for the digital camera's shot. You also processed them differently. Show us similar shots from both cameras taken at the same time, in the same light, and processed similarly afterwards. That would be worth the experiment.
I’ll see if I can dig them out; it wasn’t meant as a direct comparison more an example. Anyways if I find some time I’ll dig them out and do both the same 🫡

The biggest difference is you cannot make a phone call with your DSLR.

If you do not need or use the a the added features of a DSLR then you do not need one. However, if you like the ability to experiment and actually put your DSLR through its paces in the manual mode, then the difference is self-explanatory.

Several of our Nikon toting camera club members take excellent phone photos with their phone cameras. The standard comment seems to be "The phone is always at hand".

As others have said, phones have come a long way, but I recently tested the hell out of what my iPhone 12 Pro could do and was borderline enraged over some cool shots that I would have had with my Nikon D800 that my phone simply could not handle. The quality is not there.

Awesome for snapping pics of the kids and family. Train wreck for anything artistic.

My needs for a DSLR would have a hard time being met with my iPhone. I have bought or made adapters for coupling to telescopes, pinhole lenses, old film camera lenses including a 250 mm zoom. I use a tripod and light table to digitize my film negatives. The number one feature of my DSLR is the view finder, you bring it to your eye, and what you see is what you get. There is no trying to frame a shot on a 2 3/4 " x 5 1/2 " screen at arm's length.

The quad-cams of my Samsung S21 Ultra smartphone are pretty good. I have started shooting RAW with the device and it does make a difference.

However, the ergonomics of any phone are less than ideal for photography. I have a mirrorless Sony body and am about to add a second one. For anything serious, like events, I would not use a phone.

For the everyday and mundane a phone is fine.

I clean my lens before every shoot, how can camera phone lenses be kept as clean, just sayin...?

There is a generation of keen photographers emerging who will never have used a 'proper' camera and never intend to.

"Mummy, mummy why does granddad use that funny box thing to take pics. Can't he use a phone like normal people?"

(Actual conversation as reported by the mummy concerned! 😄)

This certainly is not an argument about iPhones, it is an offshoot from the original question as to the "quality" of phones vs cameras.

Quality of any product is far reaching, for example the world's most accurate time piece, is a device that counts the decay of cesium isotopes for the National Bureau of Standards. I doubt we will be wearing one on our wrists at any time soon.

So too, today there is more too a photographic devise's "quality" than simply image capturing. Once digitized, the post processing can manipulate the image into whatever the photographer thinks is the perfect picture.

Hence the other features listed become part of the discussion.

I believe the best camera ever made is an Olympus C740 for two reasons; 1st, because it is pocket sized and the 3.2 mega pixels do what I need and 2nd, I own one. However, that does not keep me from owning several other cameras to handle other unique situations.

Primary reason to buy an I-phone is o make and receive phone calls. Main reason to buy a camera is to take picture's. First one made primarily for making and taking phone calls. Second one made primarily for taking picture's! If you had colon cancer would you go to a doctor or a dentist?

what is the difference anymore? Unless you really look at the details there isn't any. also, with a lot of final images and even videos being color graded and filtered it is even harder to tell. Is the iphone the future of photography and videography?

even for video taking, attaching a stable tripod, and given the strong autofocus and not having to deal with all of the techniques that goes with a dslr like setting up manual mode, and playing around with aperture, iso, etc makes iphone the game winner, no? You can get much of the same images that a dslr mirrorless or full frame can get.

Maybe the only downside is low light?
A phone may be all you'll ever need, phOtoe - depends upon how low your standards are.

Smart phones are not for making phone calls. They did not put three lenes, Hyperfocal Distance Focusing, digital processing options, and demonstrate how they shot high resolution action commercials with only smart phones, just so you would buy their $1000.00 plus phone to make phone calls.

There is a reason you can get your email, text messages and stream sports, check the local radar and time, then surf the web. It is convenient. It is the same reason why people buy bottled water.

Why carry all the extra junk when all you need is a smart phone?

I use a camera because I am comfortable using it and enjoy the process. I use my 4x5 view camera because it is fun and gives a real feeling of satisfaction when thing work out right.

I do not expect others to feel the same, why should they?

From what I see the most used camera on a phone these days is the (inferior) front facing one. On a recent work trip we all posted our pictures on a server to view - 90% were selfies with the view / object in question being the (obscured or blurred) background to the foreground's widely grinning phone owners face.

I'm all for taking snaps of loved ones, friends and colleagues at places (I'm not a total grouch....yet!) but just cannot understand the facination with taking hundreds of pictures with yourself always in the foreground.... I cannot believe anyone would really love to see my face 60x times with various trip landmarks behind me in each case! But I guess I am from another time and era......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back