DSLR or Cell Phone?

I think its hilarious the morons with iPhones trying to be the worlds next best Photographer.

[video=vimeo;13081827]http://vimeo.com/13081827[/video]

This dude boasts that he took these shots with an iPhone and a $50 flood lamp. What he doesn't mention is the $1000 Octabank he shoots through, or the $3k in fill lighting he is using.

this exemplifies my previous point... given the proper light.

These are all garbage pictures that you can take with a phone. You can take crap pictures with a DSLR, but you can't take the same pictures with a cell phone that you can a DSLR.

Can you take this with a cell phone?

not the point jackass.

First of all, grow up with the petty name calling. If it's not your point, then I am lost as to why you linked me this site based on our exchange.

this exemplifies my previous point... given the proper light.

You seem to be confused. You told me given the proper light you can take the same pictures with a cell phone that you can a DSLR.

Then I said yeahmaybe with $10k worth of lighting equipment in a controlled studio setting.

Then you mocked me and insinuated otherwise.

I asked you to show me.

You linked thispage.

So, no... it exemplifies MY previous point. This guy may not be using $10k
in lighting equipment, but it's definitely in the thousands.

It's all right here.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-camera-please-help-newb-out.html#post2397963

I don't get it Balls. All I'm saying is that you can make a nice picture with ANY camera IF the light is good.

that's all.

i think thats kinda what was missed in the story. with great lighting and great condition camera phones can take decent photos. but when the conditions are poor that cell phone just won't cut it anymore. and that is what allot of people in general just seem to miss. to me a good dslr isnt about taking great pics in great conditions. its about getting great pics when the conditions suck.

cellphoneposter.jpg

i think thats kinda what was missed in the story. with great lighting and great condition camera phones can take decent photos. but when the conditions are poor that cell phone just won't cut it anymore. and that is what allot of people in general just seem to miss. to me a good dslr isnt about taking great pics in great conditions. its about getting great pics when the conditions suck.

You're missing the technical limitations too. Blow your 8mpxl phone up the size of an A2 sheet of paper and bask in the lack of sharpness from the 5mm wide lens. Want to shoot slow shots at f/22, can anyone say diffraction? Anyone seen an f/1.2 lens on the thing? What about bokeh? It's a word that is pointless to put in the mobile phone dictionary.

You can take average shots with any camera. It's the beyond average shots that you need special equipment for. The DSLR is NOT the highest quality capturing device. Not by a long shot. There are many dedicated sensors to do specific jobs, such as cameras with heatsinks / peltier coolers for ultra low noise, and $10k small CCDs which are low resolution yet exhibit perfect linearity.

No the strength of the DSLR over the camera is not the quality of photos but the sheer breadth of its versatility.

Ok I just took the quiz. It should have been titled Phone or CRAP camera. The "SLR" photos look like they were taken by a n00b with their ISO set to maximum and the camera in automatic mode.

Incidentally I didn't once incorrectly guess a picture as SLR taken with a phone, every one I got wrong I ticked phone when it was taken with an SLR. That says something about the quality of the images they chose.

ann said:
:thumbup:

DSLR vs Phone camera......it's convenience vs quality............I don't mind toting around my other kid (my slr camera) for quality pictures. I do have a camera phone and a camera on my I pad....I'll leave them for my three year old to play with. If you want a small camera but still want all the setting abilities I love my canon G12 for when I don't want the load. Im new to this but that's just what I do.

Bad photos vs bad photos... Who will win?

I think its hilarious the morons with iPhones trying to be the worlds next best Photographer.
Exactly. People with smart phones want so badly to have a great camera on their phone that they think these silly little comparisons make it a reality. These shots on the quiz are garbage. They are either shot with a piece of crap dSLR, a piss poor "fauxtographer", or both. Anyone who thinks an Iphone shoots as well as a modern dSLR has a screw loose.

JEEZE BALLISTICS. Don't you know anything about photography and lighting?

AS LONG AS THE LIGHT IS RIGHT you can load film into your ass, and with a little finesse you can actuate your sphincter muscle which will also trigger your Poopit-Wizards that will trip your strobes to take a great photo.

YOU DON'T NEED a full frame camera with tons of nice lenses to make a pro-level photo. All you need is your ass and a little bit of muscle control. Maybe some 120 film as well. Poopit-Wizards come with the Buttography package. It's what all the pros use.

Get with the program!

so long as you sh!t first and then give yourself an enema.. then yes, you can use your ass to make a "pro-level photo".

i'm trying to figure out where everyone got trying to make 'pro-level photos' from.
who ever said anything about 'pro-level'?

and what constitutes a 'pro-level photo' anyway?

and what constitutes a 'pro-level photo' anyway?

Ask Apple, apparently the iPhone 4s is the 'only camera you will ever need' according to their commercials. They should know.

Perfect lighting and crappy tiny image sensor camera still produces garbage compared to real cameras. Perhaps print out a couple of 16x20's and see the difference. Look in the shadows, compare some sharpness.

Then again if you believe everything on the youtube internetz.................. get a cell phone, some great lights, and you're on your way to pro-grade photography
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back