Dumb Q regarding photo printing

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Let's say, for example, I have a photo I cropped to 10x9 (aspect), but an online printer doesn't have that size. So if I order 10x10 does that mean there will be unprinted strip(s) on the sides, or does it get stretched to fit, and ruining in the photo?

Or would my only option be ordering special size prints?

thanks

Good question, I have been wondering this too. I would suspect it depends on who you are getting the photos printed by. The last batch of photos I had printed down at my local 'warehouse' store (equivalent of like walmart or something) there were a few that were off the standard aspect ratio, and they enlarged the photo and cropped off edges, which pissed me off as I wanted blank white space on the other edges that i could cut down myself at home.

hmm
Well, I guess it would be just as easy to add the blanks sides myself, canvas size to something close with white filler.

If I have an odd size like an 8x8" image for example, I'll go into photoshop and create an 8x10 image canvas size with white background and then select the image, copy and paste it into the 8x10. Make sure that you have the dpi set to 240 though as this is the resolution setting most developers use. Then the final image will look just as it does on the screen. You can then leave the excess to help mat it with.

If I have an odd size like an 8x8" image for example, I'll go into photoshop and create an 8x10 image canvas size with white background and then select the image, copy and paste it into the 8x10. Make sure that you have the dpi set to 240 though as this is the resolution setting most developers use. Then the final image will look just as it does on the screen. You can then leave the excess to help mat it with.

Yeah I think thats the best bet. Thanks John.

Let's say, for example, I have a photo I cropped to 10x9 (aspect), but an online printer doesn't have that size. So if I order 10x10 does that mean there will be unprinted strip(s) on the sides, or does it get stretched to fit, and ruining in the photo?

Or would my only option be ordering special size prints?

thanks

Ask the lab. Most likely it will either be printed with blank strips to fill the extra area or enlarged so that the 9" side fits the 10" dimension and the 10" side is cropped.

Your best best is to always send the lab a file that is an exact fit to their print size. Use a photo editor (PS, ...) to create a 10x10" file with your 10x9" image and the appropriate 10x0.5" white strips so that they can print their 10x10 and you can either trim the print to your 10x9 or just put the print behind a mat with a 10x9 opening.

The third option is to spend a little more and create a larger image (11x14, 13x19, ...) with your 10x9 centered on a white field.

Where I get my prints done they always crop the photo to suit the size of print they offer. Their online tool gives you the option to have the print fill the 8 x 10 frame and crop whatever extra there is, or reduce the print size until until all the print is in the frame, leaving a white border around it. In your case I would choose an 11 x 14 frame and allow the 10 x 9 print to have white space around it. I would then frame the photo with matting to create an exposed area of 10 x 9. Get me?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back