Dumb question(or three) from a photo newb re: lens, focusing, RAW vs JPEG

ekohekoh1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Nikon d7000 w/ a nikon 24-85 f/2.8-4.0D IF AF zoom(whatever all that means). In the manual, it sates :
"Do not use AF lenses with the lens focus mode switch to M and the camera focus mode selector to AF. Failure to observe this precaution could damage the camera."
Does this apply to my lens? Is it an AF-S Lens or an AF lens?

Why is focal length so important? Does is come into play with all focusing or manual focusing?

I'm a complete newb, but have learned about shutter speed, aperature, ISO, amount of light, and how it affects exposure. I have been playing around with these settings (using the auto focus) but have not tried the manual focusing yet. Any words of advice to simplify things when I practice? Should I always try shoot in manual or only when the camera is having difficulty focusing? Also/ learned a little bit about JPEG vs. RAW(NEF) do you guys have a preference and for a beginner who will probably do very minor editing i.e. cropping, lighten/darken, etc... I learned that RAW has more data so you have more to work with when editing but should I just keep shooting in JPEG?

Sorry if these questions are insulting to you. Cheers in advance!:D

Focal length is the "zoom" of your lens. Here is the wikipedia for you Focal length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your lens is an AF lens.

When you are focusing generally most people use auto focus. There are applications for manual focus and there are people who like to manual focus, but it's HARD. You are best off using auto focus in most situations.

Here is some info on Raw and Jpeg. RAW vs. JPEG
Before you shoot in raw make sure you have the software to process it. It is not a "picture" file, it's a data file that must be "developed" in a raw processing program.

For now? you are learning a lot and I'd probably try to master just the elements of exposure first. Then start to play with raw. Both things have a lot to them that you will need to learn and it's usually easier to focus on one aspect first and not everything at once.

Yes. It applies to your lens. Note: It doesn't say AF-S anywhere on your lens. It does say AF.

Your D7000 has an auto focus motor and screw drive mechanism in it. AF-S lenses have the focus motor in the lens. When an AF-S lens is mounted on your D7000, the lens tells your D7000 that it is an AF-S lens and the D7000 disables it's auto focus motor and screw drive system, and sends focusing commands to the auto focus motor in the lens.

When your AF lens is mounted on the D7000 the D7000's auto focus motor and screw drive system is on when the D7000 AF switch is in the AF position. If you turn the focus ring on your lens, the D7000 auto focus motor will try to keep focus locked and fight your attempt to change the focus. If you turn the focus ring on the lens to hard, you could strip the D7000's auto focus screw drive gears.

Raw is like a film negative, that has to be deveopled and then used to make a print. JPEG is like a polaroid instant print. JPEG is intended a final ready-to-print file. JPEG was not designed to be edited outside the camera.
Raw image data files have a color bit depth of either 12-bits (4096 colors per color channel)or 14-bits (16/384 colors per color channel). All digital photos start as a Raw data image file.
JPEGs only have a color bit depth of 8-bits (256 colors per color channel).

In other words, to make a JPEG your camera throws away at least 3840 colors per color channel, or about 80% of the color information your camera captured.
Why is focal length so important? Does is come into play with all focusing or manual focusing?

Yes. It applies to your lens. Note: It doesn't say AF-S anywhere on your lens. It does say AF.

Your D7000 has an auto focus motor and screw drive mechanism in it. AF-S lenses have the focus motor in the lens. When an AF-S lens is mounted on your D7000, the lens tells your D7000 that it is an AF-S lens and the D7000 disables it's auto focus motor and screw drive system, and sends focusing commands to the auto focus motor in the lens.

When your AF lens is mounted on the D7000 the D7000's auto focus motor and screw drive system is on when the D7000 AF switch is in the AF position. If you turn the focus ring on your lens, the D7000 auto focus motor will try to keep focus locked and fight your attempt to change the focus. If you turn the focus ring on the lens to hard, you could strip the D7000's auto focus screw drive gears.

Raw is like a film negative, that has to be deveopled and then used to make a print. JPEG is like a polaroid instant print. JPEG is intended a final ready-to-print file. JPEG was not designed to be edited outside the camera.
Raw image data files have a color bit depth of either 12-bits (4096 colors per color channel)or 14-bits (16/384 colors per color channel). All digital photos start as a Raw data image file.
JPEGs only have a color bit depth of 8-bits (256 colors per color channel).

In other words, to make a JPEG your camera throws away at least 3840 colors per color channel, or about 80% of the color information your camera captured.

K,
More dumb questions. Is there a lens focus mode switch on my lens(sorry i'm at the office and i'm trying to remember if i have seen it) So, the moral of the story is to change the focus mode to M on the camera if i want to mess with the adjusting the focus and zoom rings?

When talking about JPEG vs RAW, I saw someone saying "shooting in JPEG is like buying a Ferrari and only drive it in 1st gear... you would just miss so much of what it actually can do".

Some lenses have switches that lets you switch between manual and auto focus, and some lenses have a mechanical feature - like my Tokina - where I have to pull the outer ring towards me to have it in manual focus.

EDIT: You really should try reading the manual, as your questions are getting more into the most basic features that you find on your camera/lenses.

I don't want to sound like I'm brushing you off or telling you to go else where.

If you are this new to photography and don't understand the basics you should do some searches around this site for links to web sites or books that you can buy that will explain everything. Having forum users write it all down here for you is only going to get you the abridged addition of the information and not everything that you need to know.

I have this one book marked Digital Photography Tutorials has some great information in it.

Read the manual for your camera, then read it four more times. I think that I have gone through mine at least that amount of times and I came into digital photography with a good understanding of film photography. The manual will only tell you about the camera you have how ever and contains little information about photography it self. The technology is only a small part of the equation.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Most reactions

Back