DXOMark Tests: Nikon D5200 Edges out the D7100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People start talking about semi related side topics precisely *because* the question is so simple and was already answered like 20 times (they have nearly identical sensors and not identical features). After that, side topics are more interesting and worthwhile.

They might be interesting but they destroy a topic and become very tedious!

They might be interesting but they destroy a topic and become very tedious!

the topic was "D5200 and D7100 have the same IQ"
which was pretty much covered in post #1.
what other answers concerning that topic were you looking for?

I read the answers in the first posts pixmedia and wanted to read more views on the topic but then everything else but the kitchen sink was thrown into the thread!

I read the answers in the first posts pixmedia and wanted to read more views on the topic but then everything else but the kitchen sink was thrown into the thread!

no one talked about cute little fuzzy bunny rabbits either. :)

there really arent any "views" on the topic.
the two cameras have the same sensor. thats pretty much the end of the debate as far as sensors are concerned.
the only other place to go is OTHER things that one camera has that the other doesn't.
and bacon.

i mean, if they have the same sensor, and image quality is indeed the same....what else is there as far as the sensor is concerned?

Guess what!!!!!!!!!!!! The Nikon D5200 and D7100 have almost the SAME technical image quality. The original poster's title that the "D5200 edges out the D7100?" seems kind of like either a troll-bait title, or a simple misunderstanding of what a significant and "real" difference is in terms of DxO Mark scores.

The new Nikon lineup now has 24-MP sensors in the D3200, D5200, and D7100. It's the old Good, Better, Best marketing strategy, with solid image quality AND more megapixels than are found in ANY Canon camera, at any price, with a mix of features that target certain buying segments of the market. Very,very simple way to differentiate themselves from their competition: MORE megapixels, wider dynamic range, and a camera for almost any d-slr budget. The megapixel race, and the simple numbers, are what guide many consumers. 24 MP is "better than 18 mp", many buyers might think. Nikon's now playing "the megapixel game" that Canon played for so long. Adding focusing points is another simple way to make consumers yearn for a higher-priced camera. "More points means better!" many consumers would reason.

Pretty simple.

and the D600 24mp sensor, albeit FF

Shooting weddings with a D5200? (and probably low end glass, since good glass costs money! (and somebody doesn't like to SPEND money) And there is probably a chart somewhere showing some crappy low end glass is almost as good as pro glass, that could be used to justify buying low end glass)

Not someone I can take seriously! And no images to make me think otherwise.

Last edited:
Take pictures of your watches then :)

Painful subject :(
Watches are among the hardest things to shoot, my watch shots come out................blah, boring, no flavor, I still didn't crack the formula how to take good shots of watches and god knows I tried and tried.

Ahhh, now then, I have an idea... get a D5200 and use the tilt/flip screen, on a tripod in live view, with a half stop overexposure, and don't forget a polarising filter to fine tune reflection from the glass. Set the camera to delayed exposure (a one second hold after releasing the shutter) and use a remote ir trigger, or cable release (or self timer).

I think, with the right lighting and a plain background, that should do it. Remember to use a white card to bounce some light to the darker side, if using a window etc.
Thank you, appreciate the input.

Ross,

On the off chance that you are serious about everything you have posted. Let me sumarize so we can end this:

1) Yes, the D5200 and D7100 IQ is essentially the same; with the D5200 edging out the D7100 slightly in DXOMarks's test
2) You do not value the additional upgrades that the D7100 offers enough to pay the difference in price; others do.

The above two points is all any reader needs to get from this thread.

Thanks,
Everyone have nice day.

Oh that will not work for him.
I pretty much tried this tactic but it didn't work, he likes to complicate things and pretty much repeat same old statement again and again.
But it does work for me :)

I briefly looked at the price of replacing my lenses with used AF-S VR f/2.8 lens so I could upgrade to a 5200.
But, I think I need another mortgage to cover the costs.

no one talked about cute little fuzzy bunny rabbits either. :)

I could have sworn I read something about bunny rabbits on page 2 of the thread, but it must have got deleted by the mod... for once something got so off topic it got blitzed (or so I am thinking).

I briefly looked at the price of replacing my lenses with used AF-S VR f/2.8 lens so I could upgrade to a 5200.
But, I think I need another mortgage to cover the costs.

Only Briefly?

Yes, because fuzzy bunny rabbits started attacking me. They were dragging a kitchen sink with them. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back