DXOMark Tests: Nikon D5200 Edges out the D7100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me try to explain this in an other way, let me ask you a question do you wear a watch ?
If you do what is the rough value of this watch ?
I like watches, I spent much more on watches then on my camera equipment, most people dont get what is so special about these watches that will make me spend the money on them.
My few friends that appreciate watches "get it" the others dont, either way I bought my watches for me and I dont care what others think about watches wether they agree or disagree with my choice to buy them.

FYI, I love watches. I used to collect a few Moon Phase watches. I stopped after buying a nice grandfathers clock with Moon Phase on it. It wouldn't fit on my wrist, without crushing my wrist :(
Oh lets not get talking about watches, I am passioned about my watches as much as I am passionate about photography :)
I LOVE mechanical stuff and a well made time machine on my wrist just make my day.
Moon complication is one complication I still didnt have, my favorite is power reserve but alas I currently dont own a watch with this complication.

Ok, ok enough this is a photography forum I stop talking about watches..............................now :)

Let me try to explain this in an other way, let me ask you a question do you wear a watch ?
If you do what is the rough value of this watch ?
I like watches, I spent much more on watches then on my camera equipment, most people dont get what is so special about these watches that will make me spend the money on them.
My few friends that appreciate watches "get it" the others dont, either way I bought my watches for me and I dont care what others think about watches wether they agree or disagree with my choice to buy them.

FYI, I love watches. I used to collect a few Moon Phase watches. I stopped after buying a nice grandfathers clock with Moon Phase on it. It wouldn't fit on my wrist, without crushing my wrist :(
Oh lets not get talking about watches, I am passioned about my watches as much as I am passionate about photography :)
I LOVE mechanical stuff and a well made time machine on my wrist just make my day.
Moon complication is one complication I still didnt have, my favorite is power reserve but alas I currently dont own a watch with this complication.

Ok, ok enough this is a photography forum I stop talking about watches..............................now :)

Take pictures of your watches then :)

This has to be one of the most elaborate troll threads I've seen. Judging people by how they choose to spend THEIR money is about as immature as one can get.

Painful subject :(
Watches are among the hardest things to shoot, my watch shots come out................blah, boring, no flavor, I still didn't crack the formula how to take good shots of watches and god knows I tried and tried.

This has to be one of the most elaborate troll threads I've seen. Judging people by how they choose to spend THEIR money is about as immature as one can get.

Absolutely 100% agree with you, that's the point I was trying to make, this thread is all about how others spend their money (D7100 instead of D5200) and the point I was trying to make was everybody has the right to make their choices and non of us has the right to judge them if its right or wrong, it is indeed silly and immature.
And to make the point even clearer why would anybody really care and fight so hard about my choice of camera or anything else at that matter, why would anybody care is beyond me.
I am a Nikon guy but yet many people buy Canon, why would I care ?
Its their money, their choice, their life, it doesn't concern me at all.

Absolutely 100% agree with you, that's the point I was trying to make, this thread is all about how others spend their money (D7100 instead of D5200) and the point I was trying to make was everybody has the right to make their choices and non of us has the right to judge them if its right or wrong, it is indeed silly and immature.
And to make the point even clearer why would anybody really care and fight so hard about my choice of camera or anything else at that matter, why would anybody care is beyond me.

The whole point of a troll post is to get under your skin. He has accomplished what he set out to do.
At this point he will make a post about how he is not a troll, and that his post are valid and yadayadayada...

The whole point of a troll post is to get under your skin. He has accomplished what he set out to do.
At this point he will make a post about how he is not a troll, and that his post are valid and yadayadayada...

You are correct, he definitely got under my skin, I should know better not to get sucked into pointless debates that lead nowhere with people I really have nothing in common.
As I pointed before in one of my replies I am not ashamed to admit to myself I am wrong and I was wrong getting sucked into this pointless, futile back and forth silly debate with this man.

Umm, actually, I don't wear a watch, I get cramp in my hands, doctor advised not to wear one a few years ago. I rely on my phone and even my camera to tell me the time, and I notice that your analogy indicates that to you, the 7100 is some kind of status symbol. What YOU don't get is that Nikon have put this fantastic image making machine within reach of many millions more prospective buyers than the 7100 would reach. Is it about the photographs you take, or really about the hardware (male jeweler) strung over your neck?

At our last wedding (on Saturday) we had a hdmi screen set up at reception with a selection of pictures running in a slideshow.

The reaction (to the high resolution) images was as usual, amazing. You have the same resolution in your 7100, be happy, you also have a nice bit of male jewelry to go with your watch :)

Bye..
You are becoming very predictable, I figured you will judge me for my second hobby, you don't know me but yet you already put me in a category that suits you and makes you happy.
The watches I wear are far from jewelry, they are mechanical, small and very, very boring looking, no one (except a watch fan) would recognize it as a high precision time tool that it is, I don't like jeweler nor do I ware one.
You just PERFECTLY proved my point that you stick your nose into other people decisions, you don't want to accept and understand that others has the right to their own opinion and look at things, if somebody doesn't agree with you and doesn't see things your way he is dead wrong no matter how right he might be, YOUR way is the right way and everyone else is WRONG.

What a great way to live life, you are always on the right and who ever disagree with you is wrong.
Your ego must be the size of a mountain.
You still has a L O N G way to go my young Paduwan Lerner

In my home country many people are like you, stick their nose in other people life style, decisions and everything else.
When I moved to Canada I saw a new world a different approach where no one sticks his nose into others affairs, no one cares if you ware a jacket or a sweater, no one cares if you have a GMC or BMW, no one cares if you live in a small condo or 4000 square feet house, no one would try to tell you a D5200 is better then a D7100.
Your friends are happy if you are happy and accept you and your choices without constant judging.
Sure if you ask for their opinion they will be happy to share it with you but not in a judgmental way like yours and most important they ACCEPT the fact I have the right to see things my way and they understand there isnt one answer to everything, different people, different coltures, different ideas and different ways to see the world.

Open your eyes, ears and most importantly your mind, see your truth is YOURS, others has the right to think differently and hay maybe you will see something through their eyes, maybe you will understand something new, maybe you will see YOU are the one that is WRONG.
I see many times I was wrong in things I said or did and I am not ashamed to admit that to myself, I grow from it, I learn and thus will not make the same mistake time and time again, try it, you just might find its a much better way to live life.

What on earth is wrong in voicing an opinion, which was, in case we're all gettting a little sidetracked... the image quality of BOTH cameras is virtuallly identical.

Maybe you can at least agree they are both made by Nikon, and we can go from there?

Umm, actually, I don't wear a watch, I get cramp in my hands, doctor advised not to wear one a few years ago. I rely on my phone and even my camera to tell me the time, and I notice that your analogy indicates that to you, the 7100 is some kind of status symbol. What YOU don't get is that Nikon have put this fantastic image making machine within reach of many millions more prospective buyers than the 7100 would reach. Is it about the photographs you take, or really about the hardware (male jeweler) strung over your neck?

At our last wedding (on Saturday) we had a hdmi screen set up at reception with a selection of pictures running in a slideshow.

The reaction (to the high resolution) images was as usual, amazing. You have the same resolution in your 7100, be happy, you also have a nice bit of male jewelry to go with your watch :)

Bye..
You are becoming very predictable, I figured you will judge me for my second hobby, you don't know me but yet you already put me in a category that suits you and makes you happy.
The watches I wear are far from jewelry, they are mechanical, small and very, very boring looking, no one (except a watch fan) would recognize it as a high precision time tool that it is, I don't like jeweler nor do I ware one.
You just PERFECTLY proved my point that you stick your nose into other people decisions, you don't want to accept and understand that others has the right to their own opinion and look at things, if somebody doesn't agree with you and doesn't see things your way he is dead wrong no matter how right he might be, YOUR way is the right way and everyone else is WRONG.

What a great way to live life, you are always on the right and who ever disagree with you is wrong.
Your ego must be the size of a mountain.
You still has a L O N G way to go my young Paduwan Lerner

In my home country many people are like you, stick their nose in other people life style, decisions and everything else.
When I moved to Canada I saw a new world a different approach where no one sticks his nose into others affairs, no one cares if you ware a jacket or a sweater, no one cares if you have a GMC or BMW, no one cares if you live in a small condo or 4000 square feet house, no one would try to tell you a D5200 is better then a D7100.
Your friends are happy if you are happy and accept you and your choices without constant judging.
Sure if you ask for their opinion they will be happy to share it with you but not in a judgmental way like yours and most important they ACCEPT the fact I have the right to see things my way and they understand there isnt one answer to everything, different people, different coltures, different ideas and different ways to see the world.

Open your eyes, ears and most importantly your mind, see your truth is YOURS, others has the right to think differently and hay maybe you will see something through their eyes, maybe you will understand something new, maybe you will see YOU are the one that is WRONG.
I see many times I was wrong in things I said or did and I am not ashamed to admit that to myself, I grow from it, I learn and thus will not make the same mistake time and time again, try it, you just might find its a much better way to live life.

What on earth is wrong in voicing an opinion, which was, in case we're all gettting a little sidetracked... the image quality of BOTH cameras is virtuallly identical.

Maybe you can at least agree they are both made by Nikon, and we can go from there?

actually, the sensors for the D5200 and D7100 are made by Toshiba.

Last edited:

Painful subject :(
Watches are among the hardest things to shoot, my watch shots come out................blah, boring, no flavor, I still didn't crack the formula how to take good shots of watches and god knows I tried and tried.

Ahhh, now then, I have an idea... get a D5200 and use the tilt/flip screen, on a tripod in live view, with a half stop overexposure, and don't forget a polarising filter to fine tune reflection from the glass. Set the camera to delayed exposure (a one second hold after releasing the shutter) and use a remote ir trigger, or cable release (or self timer).

I think, with the right lighting and a plain background, that should do it. Remember to use a white card to bounce some light to the darker side, if using a window etc.

90% of all topics in this forum are hijacked Ross by wannabe professionals that think it's either their way or nothing! You started a thread asking about image quality of the d5200 and d7100 and got Nikon VS Canon (happens often when Derrel posts, Gavejenks needs to answer. after 4 pages we got back to topic somewhat ) watch talk, D lenses, focus motors and more! The trolling on this forum as a whole is insane and seriously needs to be addressed by the moderators because people like myself ask a question and out of 50 reply's get 3 valid answers! The good outweighs the bad so if i need to read 8 pages to get the answer I'm looking for I will, but really I shouldn't have to.

90% of all topics in this forum are hijacked Ross by wannabe professionals that think it's either their way or nothing! You started a thread asking about image quality of the d5200 and d7100 and got Nikon VS Canon (happens often when Derrel posts, Gavejenks needs to answer. after 4 pages we got back to topic somewhat ) watch talk, D lenses, focus motors and more! The trolling on this forum as a whole is insane and seriously needs to be addressed by the moderators because people like myself ask a question and out of 50 reply's get 3 valid answers! The good outweighs the bad so if i need to read 8 pages to get the answer I'm looking for I will, but really I shouldn't have to.

The problem is, without this type of drama, people will rather watching TV instead of browsing in TPF.

Very true Dao and actually really funny!:D

Ross,

On the off chance that you are serious about everything you have posted. Let me sumarize so we can end this:

1) Yes, the D5200 and D7100 IQ is essentially the same; with the D5200 edging out the D7100 slightly in DXOMarks's test
2) You do not value the additional upgrades that the D7100 offers enough to pay the difference in price; others do.

The above two points is all any reader needs to get from this thread.

Thanks,
Everyone have nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back