Easy to find?

I'm probably about to display my intense lack of knowledge of astronomy.... but will I be able to see it down in Australia?

That's not quite as daft a question as you may think Meysha!:thumbup:

You will see the same as anyone else except in the southern hemisphere the planets & moon appear to travel in the opposite direction to the Northern hemisphere!

saturn3if.jpg

This is Saturn's position if you were in Alice Springs at about 3am tonight!

Wow!!!
I better get my ass over to Alice Springs then!

That looks like an awesome program... but I don't think I'd use it all that much unfortunately... I just prefer to go outside and marvel at it... I sorta like the fact I don't know anything about it. (hehe one of the few things :greenpbl: )

What if I were here tonight: 16.57S, 145.45E ??? What do you/your special program think my sky would look like?

Google this: latitude longitude (and then your city name)

Just make sure it's the right manchester.

Manchester: 53.30N, 02.15W.

PlasticSpanner said:
Download Stellarium! A quick & simple program that shows what's in the night sky! Just enter your Lat/Lon, scan forwards in time & away you go!

Oh it's my favourite price too!

http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/
Awesome! My husband will be all over this. Thanks for the link! :thumbup:

Meysha said:
That looks like an awesome program... but I don't think I'd use it all that much unfortunately... I just prefer to go outside and marvel at it... I sorta like the fact I don't know anything about it. (hehe one of the few things :greenpbl: )

That program is called "RedShift" by Focus Multimedia. It's a great program but can be very technical to set up and use for just browsing! Stellarium shows similar views with a much easier interface and maybe a little less accurate but still excellent for the "price"

The Society for Popular Astronomy (SPA) forum has lots of tips and advice for observations and what to see and an excellent gallery of pictures taken by members on film, CCD and webcams fitted to telescopes!

http://www.popastro.com/phpBB2/index.php

Most reactions

Back