ebay lens hood

apvm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought an used Nikon 18-105 that did not come with the original hood. I was told that it does not matter if I buy cheap ones over at ebay instead of getting oem Nikon hood. Is that true? Tia

I bought an used Nikon 18-105 that did not come with the original hood. I was told that it does not matter if I buy cheap ones over at ebay instead of getting oem Nikon hood. Is that true? Tia
I bought a used Nikon zoom lens that had an el cheapo 3rd party petal type lens hood. The hood was a piece of garbage. It didn't fit very well at all and caused some vignetting at the short end of the zoom range.

The lens now has an OEM Nikon lens hood that was worth every penny of the $32.95 it cost me.
The OEM hood installs much easier and was designed for the lens.

At the wide end the hood size is critical. If the petals are too short, you won't get the protection, too long and you will get vignetting. Instead of mail order for an aftermarket hood, I would try the local stores first. This may be a case of spend the money for the hood designed for the lens.

Phil

Check KEH for used OEM's. From what I have seen they run about 15ish bucks.

I can't believe that lens hoods are difficult for the Chinese to copy accurately enough. The requirements are considerably less critical than lens adapters,which they generally manage reasonably well, so third party hoods should work fine.
Certainly the one I got for my Panasonic 14-42 kit lens is a good fit & works well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back