$$ Economy and Prices $$

hehhehehe.....

She can't hurt me... she's already asking me to bail her out. (I'm am the RTC in the family :lol: ) I make 5x her salary but she carries 5x my debt... does that make sense??

Joking aside... she accrued much of her debt while working on her masters. At that time (I was just a boyfriend) I was paying for my house and her apartment.

no - you should have spent it on the way home on camera kit already - that is what cybercafes are for ;)
*and camera shops*
;)

youre talking about misusing credit. which i dont. and ive never had an outstanding balance on any of my credit cards. i only use it as an alternative to carrying cash because i have a much higher tendency to spend cash...

knowing that, am i still ok to use my credit card?

Only if you buy me stuff.

Trouble with debit cards is that credit cards give you more insurance. So if you know you can afford it why not use one?

The whole thing is a crapshoot at this point. None of the "normal" rules seem to be applying to recessions here. The US government's role in this is MUCH more involved than in the past, at least up to Roosevelt's reconstruction during the Depression. We're going more and more into debt with a decreasing tax base based on population growth, incomes, and tax cuts. No one in their right mind would run their personal lives or companies this way. Yet as a society, we condone and encourage the government to give more.

What happens when a federal government goes bankrupt? Ask the Soviet Union...

I would use a debit card like that rather than credit card ...

Overread is correct. ....
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Debit cards are tied directly to your bank account. Now why would I give someone access to my funds? When using a credit card and a mishap (fraud) occurs, I am only out $50 max, but a dubious individual could completely clear out every penny that I have worked so hard to get. Actually, I have another account that is used to tranfer funds into, so my account with the debit card only has a small amount of cash in it. The only time I use my debit card is to withdraw cash from the hole-in-the-wall.

youre talking about misusing credit. which i dont. and ive never had an outstanding balance on any of my credit cards. i only use it as an alternative to carrying cash because i have a much higher tendency to spend cash...

knowing that, am i still ok to use my credit card?
I use my credit card or cash for all my purchase.

I had to call my credit card company once to ask about a finance charge that appeared on a statement. I forgot to pay the balance within the billing cycle. :blushing: I hadn't seen a finance charge for carrying a balance in such a long time that I had forgotten that happens.

debit card should be fine for store purchases - just check the till amount- its online and over the phone where you use your credit card.

i get rewards for using my credit cards. and having used my credit card worked to my advantage because when i took out a loan for school, they gave it to me at a very low interest rate (based on my credit score).... so, using a debit card just doesnt seem worth it... and then there's always what kundalini is saying....

Color me paranoid, I guess. :biggrin:

What you are describing happened to me just a little while ago -- debit card fraud. Before I was able to freeze the account it had been cleared of $2000 -- actual money (not credit) that was gone, and that I had to fight tooth and nail to get back (I'm only just now having it replaced). If I can help it, I'm never using a debit card or writing a check ever again: those are the two most popular tools for fraud.

Well debit cards still have fraud protection, since they are backed by Visa or Mastercard.

No one in their right mind would run their personal lives or companies this way.

As my father (more business minded person that I) would say, US government == the worst run business in the nation.

What happens when a federal government goes bankrupt? Ask the Soviet Union...

Especially scary when a sizable portion of our debt are to foreign entities (private and government) that are not friendly to US interests. What happens when they demand a call on all debts at once..... its call nationwide bankruptcy. Talk to any recent Russian immigrant... it ain't nice livin.. still isn't... no surprise the Russian government are trying to build their Ol'Soviet influence.

Bad things happen when a group of people live like crap in a crap economy for a long time with no end sight. Just ask the Germans before WWII.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Debit cards are tied directly to your bank account.

This is why I do the same (especially online purchases). To be accurate, what I was assuming here was the misuse of debt... not necessarily the person who pays off credit cards at the end of each month.

Once sales are flat and the consumer's purchasing power decreases, companies/products will have two choices; lower prices or stop selling. It will hurt a while before that happens but prices will eventually go down... IMO, not in time for Christmas.

Talking about when everyones stops buying and the sales are flat:
I dont think Canon will stop selling, and lets say they don't, how much will the price lower then, any time, forget about in time for Christmas?

Talking about when everyones stops buying and the sales are flat:
I dont think Canon will stop selling, and lets say they don't, how much will the price lower then, any time, forget about in time for Christmas?

It won't. Demand during Christmas periods is higher than normal. Look at Canon's rebate history: typically after Christmas running through early/mid February (before PMA) and in July/August (before Photokina).

Premium bodies, like the new 5DII, won't see much discounting. You'll see the 5D and 40D drop in price, though.

It won't. Demand during Christmas periods is higher than normal. Look at Canon's rebate history: typically after Christmas running through early/mid February (before PMA) and in July/August (before Photokina).

Premium bodies, like the new 5DII, won't see much discounting. You'll see the 5D and 40D drop in price, though.

Oh, I forgot to say, I'm not looking for no 5DII, I'm looking for a 20D, maybe 30D if I'm lucky.
The 20D is now around $450. Are they even selling new ones anymore?
I cant find any for sale new, if you know where to get one new let me know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back