Editing Problem! (Involves HDR)

dcmoody23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I created the HDR image I wanted, but the sky (less than 1/10th of the image) had some halos and lost lots of color (I don't really know why, because there was actually clouds and I actually did take some darker exposers to correctly expose the sky). Anyways, I save that HDR image, but the sky didn't look right at all so I cleared all of the weird pink color it had with a brush on gimp and so now it's just a white color with a blackish cloud (not important).

I was simply wondering if there would be a way to get the sky fixed. I have the exposure (In raw) with a darker sky.. It's not too much better, but it's a shade of gray and the white definitely ruins this picture. Any ideas?

Here's a small, low res example of what I'm taking about here --
ry%3D400

Thanks for any help.

Ooh and in case anyone was wondering, I am going to have a 'normal' shot of this.. I mean it's a nature scene.. come on! gotta have the natural stuff.

I think I say this out of love......nothing can fix that image.

What did you do to that thing?

Hahah. It's all good.. It looks a lot better the bigger it is. As a small image it looks awful because it's like a big jumble of garbage, but I wasn't looking for CC here.. I wouldn't normally post something that would knowingly not be accepted, but I'm looking for help to get the sky fixed.. & I'm a 17 year old kid. Playing around with the sliders and coming up with some completely outrageous look is cool! :p. But my monitor is awful, so I'm sure prints wouldn't look nearly as good as I'm envisioning :p

I'm not sure I would focus so much on the sky in the shot, it's such a minimal element of the photo compared to everything else, and if you think about it, the algorithms in the HDR software are probably focusing on the colors/shadows/range of the foliage since the sky accounts for such a small portion of the image.

Is this Details Enhanced? What does it look like with the Tone Compressor?

To answer the question, yes the sky can be fixed. Here is one method:
- do a colour range select to get the grey of the sky.
- use other masking tools to add in some of the bits that may have been missed
- mask and copy a "good" sky
- come back to this image
- use "paste into" to drop your sky into the selected area.

I can post an example of how this might look with your pic, if you would like.

Thank for the responses! Oldmacman that sounds kind of simple, but for me it may be difficult. I'll let you know how it goes.. If not I'll load a higher res picture and I would love your help. My photos are okay to edit.

I'm not sure I would focus so much on the sky in the shot, it's such a minimal element of the photo compared to everything else, and if you think about it, the algorithms in the HDR software are probably focusing on the colors/shadows/range of the foliage since the sky accounts for such a small portion of the image.

Is this Details Enhanced? What does it look like with the Tone Compressor?

I agree, but I feel like the white takes the focus of the image, and I want it to be water/rocks to be the main focus.

I don't have time now, but I'll load a regular, tone mapped image later for you to see.

GAH! Even on the tone mapped images the sky is blown -- I'll have to play around with the raw images a little bit..

ry%3D400

There is three of the four images combined to make this one. It's a little dark - I just put it together quick to show an example..

Moody-

We should shoot together some time. Maybe we can show each other some good spots in the state? Where did you take this photo?

Most reactions

Back