Elements and iphoto

ricepudding

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I'm a new mac user and a new iphoto user. I'm trying to keep photos catalogued in iphoto but I edit a lot and am having a bit of trouble between photoshop elements and iphoto.

I'm trying to do something basic. Edit a photo in photoshop, save it and have the edited version appear in iphoto.

I figured out how to make Elements my editor. So that is fine. And I figured out how to edit the raw version of the photo.

BUT - what I can't seem to figure out is once that photo is edited why does the edited version not appear in iphoto??? The instructions said I would need to save the edited version on my computer and then import again to my library. I tried that. The old version of the photo still is there. Now, when I OPEN that old version it does open the correct (edited) photo. Basically the thumbnail just isn't showing the edited version.

But the thumbnail will open the edited version whether I re-save on my computer elsewhere and re-import or just simply SAVE in the SAME location. Either way it works the same....

Tell me what I'm doing wrong here if you can understand the rambling. When I make simple things in iphoto I want the right darn pic to be seen there!

Thanks so much!

So - also!!

When I edit the photos in photoshop and save them ELSEWHERE on the computer instead of telling them to save in the iphoto folder, things become weirder.

If I go to the location in which I saved the edited file I can see that the thumbnail is the EDITED version of the photo. All looks fine. It has a .dng extension.....but when it is opened with anything other than photoshop it reverts back to the original version of the photo.

How in the world do I just e-mail the edited version of my photo to a friend. This is getting complicated. I suppose I need to get the .dng into a JPG somehow in order for it to e-mail/open properly. But Elements only lets me save edited photos as .dng!? What to do?

Most reactions

Back