Engagement Portraits C&C

AnotherNewGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to professional photography, and hope to improve with the help of all of you out there. This shoot was a free shoot for engagement pictures for a couple who's wedding I am shooting in December. I have quickly found that my biggest weakness is posing them. Please provide any criticism that I may improve upon. Thank you in advance!

[1]
Engagement104.jpg

[2]
Engagement116.jpg

[3]
Engagement158.jpg

[4]
Engagement173.jpg

[5]
Engagement185.jpg

[6]
Engagement39.jpg

[7]
Engagement80.jpg

Engagement24-2.jpg

Numbers 5 and 6 are my favorite ones. Number 7 looks too out of focus and grainy like it was taken off of a security camera. (I'm just being honest). Good job overall!

I agree with your comment on number 7. To be honest, that is why I made it B&W. I had to keep it... it is the most flattering picture of the future bride.

thanks for the comment.

I would be concerned about positioning them where they are forced to squint. Several of these photos would be acceptable if the groom-to-be had his eyes open.

I would be concerned about positioning them where they are forced to squint. Several of these photos would be acceptable if the groom-to-be had his eyes open.

Couldn't agree more. He had naturally narrow eyes. The reflector (gold) was making him squint more than anything. I was just happy I could pull a few smiles out of him. Is there any advice on the squinting issue... What could I have done? Waited for dusk?

Just curious, what equipment are you using? These images almost look like they are video camera stills. If your using a DSLR which one?

D300s with a Quantaray 70-300 f/4.5

I know the glass isn't the best by any means... video camera stills?

Reflectors can be really awesome at making people squint. That's the main downside in my opinion. Flash is great because it's only bright for a fraction of a second,and same with using reflectors to bounce flash on the fill side. But using reflectors to bounce sunlight in peoples faces is slightly better then having the actual sun in their face. Try having them close their eyes and relax their face, then count to three, have them open then eyes, and you can usually get 2-3 quick shots off before they start squinting again. Then repeat.

Reflectors can be really awesome at making people squint. That's the main downside in my opinion. Flash is great because it's only bright for a fraction of a second,and same with using reflectors to bounce flash on the fill side. But using reflectors to bounce sunlight in peoples faces is slightly better then having the actual sun in their face. Try having them close their eyes and relax their face, then count to three, have them open then eyes, and you can usually get 2-3 quick shots off before they start squinting again. Then repeat.

Thank you. That is helpful advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back