engagement session help!

Rafal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My sister asked me to do some engagement photos for them because they don't want to spend any money. I'm still learning and would like to do a good job for them. Unfortunatelly, I don't have any lighting equipment except what's on the camera so fill in light will be a difficult.
Would a reflector be good enough for outdoor shots? Any advice on how to organize a plan for such session? I'm thinking first scout the places for shooting and see how the sun hits it at a particular time of day...

I'm thinking first scout the places for shooting and see how the sun hits it at a particular time of day...
A very good idea.

Using a reflector is a great way to get some fill light on your subjects. They are best used with a Voice Activated Light Stand (someone to hold them). So bring a friend.

Search engagement pictures on flikr, take note of how people use their surroundings to complement the personality of the couple. A reflector will definitely help, but it's not absolutely necessary either. How much practice have you had with portraits? Scouting your locations is always a good idea. Bring someone with you and take some test shots. Get an idea of what you want to do and where and if you need to, make a shot list so you're not fumbling for something to do at the actual shoot.

I've only done one engagement shoot, and that was with (in my opinion) limited success, so I will leave it to the pros to answer to that.

Yes, get a reflector. You can get a 5-in-one 42" reflectorf from ebay for less tha $20 if you look hard enough. Should be big enough to get the job done.

Also, if you are bringing a "voice activated light stand" like Mike suggested (and I do too) make sure they understand how the reflector works before you get there. NOthing is more frustrating than trying to teach someone how to use a reflector and focus on taking paictures at the same time.

As other said, scouting is a great idea. Noon is not usually a good time to shoot, although shooting in shade and using a reflector will help.
Look up images, get inspired, sketch some ideas out on a piece of paper to make your thoughts clear and bring it with you.

I always chuckle when I read that someone "doesn't want to spend the money". Make sure her expectations are there with the fact that she isn't paying for this. Love how the general public wants to save some coin and not have a pro do the images. Letting a family member practice, all good. Don't have the money? Sure, I'll pitch in. But if you are too stingy to spend the money on a photographer, don't expect pro portraits. I hope they aren't as cheap when it comes to house and car repairs..

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely will have to plan this out find the right spots , take some test shots and see if I could do without the reflector. She doesn't want your typical posed shots but more of the in the moment kinda behavior. I'll take your advise , look up someone elses work and try to get some ideas of how to direct them to move, pose etc. I have more then a month to get this organized so I should be ok. Chicago has plenty of different type of places such as the beach, downtown, industrial areas and parks so I'll probably mix it up a bit plus take some shots in the morning and some in the evening hours.

I did explain to her that I'm an amature and not to expect miracles here :) Believe me she is not shy when it comes to spending, she just likes some of my recent work of landscape not realizing that it's not the same thing plus it's far of proffesional standars :lol: I told her to find a back up and I'll let her know in few weeks after my testing if I'm even capable of achieving this.

I've never really planned portraits shots before so it might be a nice learning experience

Thank you all for all the advise! as always you've been very helpfull

Some shots by the lake shore early in the morning would look great and not require artificial lighting but you have to get up early!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back