Engagement session - tips?

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there.

I’m going to shoot an engagement session this Saturday. I never did it before, so I’m looking for any tips and pointers so it will help me out – any particular poses, lightning I should consider?? It will take place around 5pm by the lake.

Thanks
Marek.

Don't take this as rude... but what you should do is attend an e-session with a pro a few times. There is a LOT more needed than a couple of tips to help you succeed at an engagement session. :)

Don't take this as rude... but what you should do is attend an e-session with a pro a few times. There is a LOT more needed than a couple of tips to help you succeed at an engagement session. :)

The only problem is than I just can't find anyone who would agree for me to assist (did ask few photographers). I guess I have to do my best and see what happens.

Thanks.

The most important thing here is just to have fun. With engagement pictures, the most important thing you can do is be at ease. If you take this sort of lighthearted approach with you to the shoot, it will show in the final product because the future B&G will feed off of your energy.

It's a good idea to get some info from your subjects about what poses they would like. Also, make sure to do some research and find poses from photographer galleries that you think are interesting. You chose a good time to shoot, so just use the natural light to your advantage.

Let us know how it turns out!

Marek:

It's probably a little late at this stage in the game, but if you can't find other photographers to help you assist... you should at least shoot a couple of practice engagement sessions.

If you know any couples (either married or dating), you could ask them if you could practice on them... and who knows, you might even make a few sales along the way.

Good info from Clawed as well... have fun, and find out what the couple wants.

Good luck,
Jim

Have fun, keep them talking, take lots of pictures. Weed out the bad ones, show the good ones.

As for poses, go to google images and search for engagement portriats, theres more than a few there.

Ask them if they have any poses they would like to do.

Prior to Saturday, get in touch with the bride and find out what they like to do together. Based on her answers, you should be able to pick out a suitable location. (I always like to get the couple in "their" environment. Don't start shooting right away. Let them get comfortable and do your best to catch them interacting with each other.

Remember to keep their heads near each other. If you frame a shot were their heads are more distant than where their shoulders say they should be then you are showing a coolness of attitude (generally). If one of the two are reaching for something to share with the other or pointing out something obviously it's OK. Typically leaning slightly (at least) towards each other to show closeness is standard in most all of the shots. Do NOT show them pawing at each other. If grandma would blush- don't do it. If they want that kind of shoot then they need to understand that that is a different operation all together and will be extra ;).

So, closeness, sharing, communicating with one another and a strong emotional bond are what you are trying to convey. Stay away from distance, inattention, selfishness, or anything else that does not show them focused on each other.

It's not about truth- Justus or anybody's way, it's a stylized representation of the beginning of a story where the prince and princess get to live happily ever after.

Remember that and you should do just fine.

Im doing my first engagement pics tomorrow also and I did talk to the bride prior to the shooting to find out which positions she liked (the groom couldn't care less). I found Mike E's input very helpful. Hopefully everything goes well and I think it should since the couple are personal friends of mine.

Remember to keep their heads near each other. If you frame a shot were their heads are more distant than where their shoulders say they should be then you are showing a coolness of attitude (generally). If one of the two are reaching for something to share with the other or pointing out something obviously it's OK. Typically leaning slightly (at least) towards each other to show closeness is standard in most all of the shots. Do NOT show them pawing at each other. If grandma would blush- don't do it. If they want that kind of shoot then they need to understand that that is a different operation all together and will be extra ;).

So, closeness, sharing, communicating with one another and a strong emotional bond are what you are trying to convey. Stay away from distance, inattention, selfishness, or anything else that does not show them focused on each other.

It's not about truth- Justus or anybody's way, it's a stylized representation of the beginning of a story where the prince and princess get to live happily ever after.

Remember that and you should do just fine.
I agree 100%!

The only problem is than I just can't find anyone who would agree for me to assist (did ask few photographers). I guess I have to do my best and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, how did you ask? Googling a few local wedding photographers and emailing them... is 100% the WRONG way to do it. 99.9% of people who do that are refused... and there is a very obvious answer to that. :)

I wanted to bring this thread up becuase I found something on the net that I believe will help you a lot. As soon as I saw this, I thought of this thread.

VIDEO : A real-life engagement session - part 1 | Squeeze the LIME - Learn Inspire Motivate Experience

VIDEO : A real life engagement session part 2 | Squeeze the LIME - Learn Inspire Motivate Experience

These vids are very basic, but if you lack experience, they give some good basic tips and good ideas. :)

Great link, Jerry! Those are awesome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back