Engagement shoot

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like them a lot!

However, on #4, I would probably clone out the hair on her face. That's just my preference.

I know it's not necessarily in your realm of control, but I don't care for the combo of his shirt and her dress. They just don't go well together. Along the same lines, he looks rigid in the first two, and she looks comfortable/passionate.

I think all of these could be improved markedly with fill flash. The background light is just very harsh. A bit of fill light would have let you drop that down a notch.

The blown sky in 1-3 bothers me, especially #3 where his forehead just kinda disappears into the sky. #5 it took me a moment to realize I was supposed to be looking at the ring, not the kiss. Still, better than a lot that get posted here.

It would have been so easy to not blow the sky out... just with some fill flash. Some of the ones on Flickr, Faces are so dark.. they look like silhouettes! Skin tones on some are ok.. but some are way off.

I see in the Exif data that you shot them in Auto mode.. with Auto white balance. The way these came out is why we highly recommend NOT using AUTO mode.

I'm disappointed actually, I thought you were learning to use your camera... AUTO doesn't tell me that!

EDIT: I apologize.. I missed the shutter priority setting on Flickr!

Last edited:
None of these were shot in AUTO. Some where shot in Shutter priority. I don't have a grey card so I can't really set the WB.

blackrose89 said:
None of these were shot in AUTO. Some where shot in Shutter priority. I don't have a grey card so I can't really set the WB.

You're coming along nicely. I think some fill flash would've enhanced the images by the tree. You can adjust WB in post if you're shooting raw.

I am surprised you would even say that.. Flickr shows Exif data if you know where to look

Exif | Autumn and Brent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

View attachment 5405

Sorry friend, but you are wrong. If you see, she was shooting in "shutter priority" which results in "auto" exposure / white balance.

Anyway, blackrose here is my suggestion. For me, all these pics suffer from one BIG flaw, the DOF is way too large for such images. I much prefer wide open apertures so you can have some emotion in the image. You might try shooting in aperture priority, and if you have faster glass use something with a wider aperture.

Angel,

I apologize.. I missed the shutter priority setting on Flickr! You still would have been much better off in Aperture Priority.. so you could control DOF... as your subjects were not moving fast, which is where Shutter Priority comes in handy. You could have used a larger aperture to blur out the backgrounds ... and made much more attractive shots.

I am surprised you would even say that.. Flickr shows Exif data if you know where to look

Exif | Autumn and Brent | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

View attachment 5405

Sorry friend, but you are wrong. If you see, she was shooting in "shutter priority" which results in "auto" exposure / white balance.

Anyway, blackrose here is my suggestion. For me, all these pics suffer from one BIG flaw, the DOF is way too large for such images. I much prefer wide open apertures so you can have some emotion in the image. You might try shooting in aperture priority, and if you have faster glass use something with a wider aperture.

Thanks for the heads up.. I missed that!

Hey Angel... hear about AMOMENT?

I was using the kit lens which allows for the widest aperture of f/4 which doesn't allow for a very shallow DOF. The only lens I got ATM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back