Entry level camera for filmmaking

DoctorDementia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello there, so this is the issue.
I'm trying to start filmmaking and videomaking and I'd like to buy a good camera for this purpose; right now I own a Nikon D5300, not bad for photos but not as good for video, so I wanted to upgrade.

What I need is a good filming camera that also makes decent photos but there are so many possibilities I'm overwhelmed.
My firs doubt is whether to choose a DSLR camera or a mirrorless camera or even a compact camera; I've seen many youtubers using compact cameras but mostly for vlogging.
Second thing is: I'm on a budget (my limit would be around 650-680 USD) so I'm not sure if I can find cameras with decent video and photo quality for that price.
Does anyone have some advice on the brand (Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic...) and model that can be affordable and also "performing"?
(At first I was thinking about the Panasonic G7 buth I'm not sure about its performances)

Thank you in advance to anyone commenting!

G7 is a great camera for sure.

I would say go for a Panasonic.

Film making requires a huge investment in equipment other than the camera body. Personally I don't believe you are going to get enough of an improvement over your current camera with your budget. My suggestion, keep using your Nikon, and invest in accessories. Camera bodies come and go, I've had my light stands, reflectors, tripods, fluid heads, mics, boom pole, etc.. for many years beyond the current camera body.

With nice light most any codecs look good.

An entry level camera will not be any better than your existing camera.

You may check for following though:

1. Make sure that you are not using the same setting that you use for still photography. Video requires very different setting for best results.

2. Use better and faster lenses.

3. Use tripod with a video head.

4. Avoid harsh light and never over expose.

Most entry-level ($650 USD price range) DSLRs make "decent" video and still images. There is not much difference between one make/model of entry-level cameras performance or feature wise.
However, Nikon's D5300 has a pretty good image sensor in it and IMO the D5300 is one of the best entry-level DSLRs currently available for shooting video or stills.

What type of films do you want to make?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back