What's new

Entry-level DSLR options .. seeking advice

Which DSLR for a newbie?

  • New Nikon D3000 for $449

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refurbished Nikon D3000 for $399

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    4

TheClevelander

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 4, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm interested in picking up photography as a hobby and looking into my options in the DSLR world.
icon14.gif


My brother has a Nikon d3100 that I have played around with and really enjoy and I am looking for something similar but cheaper.

The camera would be used in all environments (indoor/outdoor/low light/etc)

Right now I have the following options:

New Canon Rebel XS for $415
New Nikon D3000 for $449
New Nikon D5000 for $575
Refurbished Nikon D3000 for $399


Or should I take a stab at any of the DSLRs in Canon's customer loyalty program? I'm also open to used options and hoping to spend less than $600 on everything (MAX, hoping to go cheaper).

I'm really interested in making a purchase soon and exploring the world of photography.

For those more knowledgeable on the topic, can you please comment as to which would be the best option?

Thanks
__________________
 
If your looking to save money I purchased a d20 body used on ebay for around 230 with shipping have used it for 2 yrs so far no problems came with a 2 gb card bought the "kit lens" for around 45 then 75mm - 300mm for about 60 so which ever you decide on be sure to shop around don't rush
 
You have a lot of options and pushing the boat out so to speak will have its rewards as Camera gear holds its value pretty well and you will be able to recoup most of your money you splashed out on kit if you think photography isnt for you. Its really about how far you wanna go with your photography which will determine your initial outlay. You can get second hand Canon 50D for 500 U.S dollars here in Japan for example. Keep your options open mate.
 
Thanks for your input

I'm leaning towards the D5000 now as my bro has Nikon and I really like the feel of it. Going to the store tomorrow to try out all the models.

Any tips/tricks/links/advice for a newb appreciated.

thanks all
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom