EOS or Vintage Canon ?

gat3keeper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a pro wedding photographer but started in digital (dslr). Through the years, I've noticed that film camera may have some advantages in storing photos.

Now, I would like to try film photography and choosing the right camera is overwhelming.

I'm eyeing for Canon or Nikon due to vast availability of lenses in our area. For canon, should I get the EOS or the vintage cams ?

I don't have EOS lenses for I used Fuji for professional work

In theory ... Canon manual focus lenses should be more obtainable and cheaper as they cannot be used natively on the current Canon digital cameras ... unlike Nikon.
I think the only people grabbing Canon MF mount are mirrorless people.

Good Point there mate

Using an EOS film camera will require little learning as in most respects they are the same as EOS digital cameras. They also have the advantage of being able to use modern designs of lenses.

If you use, for example, a Canon FD mount camera, the controls are very different and the focus and aperture are manually adjusted on the lens barrel. No adjustment wheel by the shutter release.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Yeah but here in Philippines, Canon F1 is the most expensive film camera among the following models

Nikon F3
EOS Elan
Canon AE1
Nikon 501
Nikon 801
Pentax LX , MX
etc...

My Pentax MX is a very good camera and so is my Canon EOS A2E.

Are you planing to shoot film for weddings? Because that would be different. If you want to shoot film for personal use there are good M42 mount cameras and lenses available for not much.

I would go for EOS film cams. But keep in mind, that the latest EF lenses may not run with the older EOS film cams. I.e. the latest fully electronic non L EF 70-300 mm doesn't AF with my EOS 50E, which I love for it's weight and smoothness.

Just my 2 cents
Gerhard

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

21105766_1489112257848596_7979246230838407897_n.jpg
I am one who still has, and uses Canon SLR cameras. I have an A1, AE1, and A2e (EOS) cameras as well as some others. I had an F1 system years ago and am looking for another one to replce my old one. Here are my suggestions. First off, if your goal is to shoot along with the DSLR, then yes get a EOS 35mm camera, A2, or above like 1N 1NRS whatever. All are great. I use to shoot sports with A2's and 1N's. If you want to shoot fine art of street or whatever, then I suggest a fine system like the F1, or A1. Both have advantages but for someone who never shot film, you may wnat to get an A1 or even an AE1 FIRST....learn to shoot film on it, then decide if you want to progress to a Canon pro body like the A1 or F1.

FINE FD FL prosumer or entry pro lenses are available cheap, from 30-100 dollars, and the old FD / FL lenses L series will fit the old non EOS Canon bodies mentioned are 100_500 dollars. If you get an EOS body, the lenses are the same as those for the DSLR's of toady if they are the EF series lenses. They are much more expensive than getting into film on a FD mount Canon. I would stay away from Nikon due to what has been mentioned about the lesnes.

You can get into a Canon A1, motor drive, and 5 or six prime lenses and a few zooms for under 600 dollars.

Last edited:
The camera is not that important...Film and Lens is the most important...then developing. body is just the shutter.

At least that's the way I look at it. Lens and film is what delivers the quality, the rest is up to the user.

I love film...B&W...I miss darkroom work...It gets old quick though!

vintage Spotmatic and some m42 lens...cheap and easy, good quality lenses available.

Hey Dragster, that is overly simplifying it. The body is everything as a starting point. If one takes into consideration which lens maker or leverl of expense they want. To how quickly they will need to upgrade the body or not...

There are so many more variables when doing film, the body is the least of your worries. The quality is not in the body...ever.

35mm is not a professional or high quality film camera. If I ever do film again it wont be 35mm... I'll whip out the Mamiya MF.

My dad used to do weddings with a Mamiya, and a pair of spotmatics.

Is this guy gonna do weddings with it?

Most reactions

Back