Epson R2880

allenphotoarchives

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I work predominantly with vintage photography and glass negatives. I have a significant collection that I have worked to digitize and clean up....now I would like the ability to print them in high quality and cost effectively.

I was thinking of investing in an Epson R2880 printer. I will be doing 100% black and white printing and the size format will be 8x10 and 11x17 so here are my questions:
#1 Does anyone have experience that can speak to the quality of this printer.
#2 Since with all printers many times the ink cost exceeds anything else does anyone have any feedback on how many black and white photos can be printed with a cartridge or cartridge set.
#3 How is the quality assuming I am using high quality Epson Archival photo paper.

Appreciate any feedback anyone could provide.

As your last sentence says any feedback appreciated.

I never used this printer but I can almost guarantee that it would be cheaper to get these printed professionally. Finding a service that fits your requirements may take a while. Printing well is I think the most difficult task in photography

I work predominantly with vintage photography and glass negatives. I have a significant collection that I have worked to digitize and clean up....now I would like the ability to print them in high quality and cost effectively.

I was thinking of investing in an Epson R2880 printer. I will be doing 100% black and white printing and the size format will be 8x10 and 11x17 so here are my questions:
#2 Since with all printers many times the ink cost exceeds anything else does anyone have any feedback on how many black and white photos can be printed with a cartridge or cartridge set.
#3 How is the quality assuming I am using high quality Epson Archival photo paper.

I have owned it since it came out. I love it and the quality of the prints. I can't speak to the number of B&W prints as I do both B&W and color. The quality is outstanding. Now with that said you need to look at your printing needs. I only print for myself and family. Moderate use. That is why I choose the 2880. If you are going to do a lot of printing you should look at the Epson Sure Color P series, possibly the p600 or p800. The stylus line is about out of production. The P600 & P800 use much larger cartridges, which will lower you ink cost if you print enough to justify it.

I never used this printer but I can almost guarantee that it would be cheaper to get these printed professionally. Finding a service that fits your requirements may take a while. Printing well is I think the most difficult task in photography
Thanks for the feedback but I can't imagine professional printing at any cost would be cheaper. Lets say archival paper cost $0.50 a sheet for 8 x 10 and the ink cost lets say $1.00 for high quality black and white. Expensive ink but much less than professional.

I have owned it since it came out. I love it and the quality of the prints. I can't speak to the number of B&W prints as I do both B&W and color. The quality is outstanding. Now with that said you need to look at your printing needs. I only print for myself and family. Moderate use. That is why I choose the 2880. If you are going to do a lot of printing you should look at the Epson Sure Color P series, possibly the p600 or p800. The stylus line is about out of production. The P600 & P800 use much larger cartridges, which will lower you ink cost if you print enough to justify it.
Looking into the p600 and p800 you are right that may make more sense. Another dumb question if I am only printing in black and white does that process use much color in the process? Assume I will be mainly be using black ink.

Thanks for the feedback but I can't imagine professional printing at any cost would be cheaper. Lets say archival paper cost $0.50 a sheet for 8 x 10 and the ink cost lets say $1.00 for high quality black and white. Expensive ink but much less than professional.

You are hopefully correct. I read an article a few years ago that compared home prints with pro service prints. It maintains home prints are more expensive in the long run, between buying a printer, ink and paper.

I print for myself for convenience if I have a few prints to carry out. If I have a big order I pay for prints. I do find that even if a printer says it will do 100 photos per ink for example that in real world this is never born out. Ink works out expensive. Having said this, I am in Ireland, and I'd imagine things are less expensive your side of the pond

I had a 2400 for several years of mostly pretty hard use and it was a wonderful printer. One thing to be aware of in making the decision to print or send out is that if you don't print on a regular basis, you will use a lot more ink running head cleaning routines and possibly even have to get the printer serviced. They are designed to be used regularly and do not take well to idle periods. This is the reason I stopped printing myself.

I had a 2400 for several years of mostly pretty hard use and it was a wonderful printer. One thing to be aware of in making the decision to print or send out is that if you don't print on a regular basis, you will use a lot more ink running head cleaning routines and possibly even have to get the printer serviced. They are designed to be used regularly and do not take well to idle periods. This is the reason I stopped printing myself.
That makes sense. I personally have been archiving some historic Sports glass negatives for years and intend to make a go at selling them. The problem is you can do it at three levels...#1 All out Platinum Paladium Prints. I have done some of those and they look spectacular but the market to sell them is limited. #2 Silver Gelatin Black Room great quality but still need $100 price points for it to make sense and #3 Cost effective printing maximizing the quality but keeping material and processing costs down. I have decided to try #3 to augment #1. I am starting with 40 different images so hopefully the volume will be decent so as I don't run into that.

I have owned it since it came out. I love it and the quality of the prints. I can't speak to the number of B&W prints as I do both B&W and color. The quality is outstanding. Now with that said you need to look at your printing needs. I only print for myself and family. Moderate use. That is why I choose the 2880. If you are going to do a lot of printing you should look at the Epson Sure Color P series, possibly the p600 or p800. The stylus line is about out of production. The P600 & P800 much larger cartridges, which will lower you ink cost if you print enough to justify it.
Looking into the p600 and p800 you are right that may make more sense. Another dumb question if I am only printing in black and white does that process use much color in the process? Assume I will be mainly be using black ink.
Probably no color ink at all. You might download the manual for the one you are looking at. Some of the epson printers have specific inks just for black and white, or at least they did. You might be interested in this review from Red River Paper of the P800: Epson SureColor P800 Review - First Look Introduction and Getting Started

Depending on how many prints you want or expect to do, it would be much better to get a continuous flow system and/or to use a complete set of grey inks ( Black and White Ink Products - Inksupply.com ) rather than trying to use the colorset. Much better quality but a significant investment in time for learning.

Most reactions

Back