Equine dressage show

pixall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I have my first horse show to shoot and have a lot of questions.
#1 I will be in center of arena, what is the norm for photographer and what they are allowed permitted to do?
#2 What attire is appropriate for a photographer to wear to a dressage show?
#3 There will be two arenas and I am the only photographer, how do I balance this if I have more than one person showing at same time in a different arena?
#4 Are there usually two judges per single class, or more than one?
I am very excited and very nervous and anyone willing to lend their expertise would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!:hug::

#1: Ask the people running the show.

#2: A suit, or at least something that isn't completely dress-down, I would think.

#3: That's a tricky, tricky one. You should probably consider finding a second shooter.

#4: Er, I think that's definitely a question more suited to an equestrian forum. ;)

Note that I don't shoot equine events. For #2, I just went with what my friends tell me of dressage (I have a few who are really into horses). At least the horses won't be moving really fast in dressage, so low light is less of an issue.

1) I agree with Musical phone them and ask specifically what you are and are not allowed to do. Also make sure to inquire about flash, some places with horses do not allow flash at all for the case that it spooks the horse whilst others are more open (remember these days most people have a point and shoot so many horses are more used to flash having been flashed at since they were a foal).

2) Ask them if they require formal attire and if there are any restrictions - and when you dress remember to keep smart but also remember that your going to be working (not too hot a suit) and that your going to be moving around, kneeling and so on so it must wear well also.

3) Again I agree with musical, ask around for an assitant on the day - maybe even try to contact some of the photographers who have shot at the place before as they might have contacts they have used in the past for second shooters.

Good luck!

First and foremost... do you know horses? And are you hired by the facility or are you freelancing and selling these pictures directly to the riders?

#1 ) I highly recommend not using a flash; it's a risk not worth taking. You will want to move along one side of the arena based on the test the rider is doing to get the best shots for that test. This is not always applicable, so I'd pay attention to your background first and foremost... shoot from wherever your background is the least cluttered.

#2 ) A nice polo and nice jeans will get you far; you will be on your feet all day, wear comfortable shoes you don't mind getting dirty. Sunscreen if it's outdoor!

#3 ) If there is more than one ring I require sign ups prior to the ride or I shoot only one ring. This is something you should discuss with management and the show secretary.
#4 ) One horse/rider at a time, tests last from about 2 minutes to about 7. The shows I shoot... one judge.

Stay calm, have fun and breathe deep. Just concentrate on capturing the horse and rider looking their best...

usually dressage is photographed from the outside as the dressage test often has the horses criss crossing the center and being in the middle might throw their test off.
Also the main thing with photographing horse shows of any kind is knowing what the riders want. For example in saddleseat when they are trotting people want it timed so the horses knees are up while hunters want the leg at its most extended with the slightest bend. It might be a good idea to go get a dressage magazine and see what is usually done. Most horse show photographers I have seen wear either a button up shirt or polo with khakies. Shoes are not important as long as they are comfortable. Oh and no bright colors.
As far as the second arena, usually there is a second shooter or if they are side by side your best bet would be to stand in between.
Good luck.

You will not be allowed in the ring for dressage, so you will be able to flit between rings, like Silverdreamer says you need to know the different transitions and get the timing right

Yes, I know lots about horse, I have a paint, but I ride completely western and have never been to an english/dressage show.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back