What's new

Essentials for the D700

Yes, actually mine will be shipped from a non-amazon seller. I am just lucky that they were still selling it with discount when I clicked it. Then I got an email from amazon saying that they are trying to confirm the order with the seller.... I hope they've got the stock!

First oil, now camera......
 
All I can say is you should consider yourself one lucky S.O.B. to have the Nikon D700 be your first digital camera!!! I've been to your blog, and I know that you know how to shoot....you are gonna' be slapping yourself upside the head with satisfaction (regret? coulda-shoulda-woulda? why the hell did I wait so long?) after a week or two with the D700. Based on the photos of yours that I have seen, I'm absolutely positive that a FF Nikon is going to thrill you. Be glad your first digital wasn't the awful, old Nikon D1, with its oddball 1953 NTSC-ish weird color space and funky color palette.
 
Update, just had to share. My camera store just got a shipment of 3- D700's in and I am picking it up on Friday. WOOHOOO i am super stoked. Can not wait.
 
I love mine, and it took me some time with serious research and testing to finally pull the string. Haven't been sorry in the least. Wait until you test out some low light situations.

I was in a local tango bar where to read the menu one had to use a flashlight, with the only "real" light on the dancers. Took a few shots at 64000 ISO just because I had to try. Jaw dropping results.
 
My daughter has a performance on friday night for music festival. After last weekends dismal shots at ISO 1200 in the auditorium I can not wait to compare. Not too mention I have a whole bunch of senior sessions this weekend, and a couple infant sessions too. I am literally bouncing off the walls with excitment.
 
....you are gonna' be slapping yourself upside the head with satisfaction (regret? coulda-shoulda-woulda? why the hell did I wait so long?)

Ha, I am most excited with the fact that I will be able to switch ISO on the go!

I am always very careful and specific with my purchases. Basically, if I am going to spend money, it better be well worth it. There nothing worse than buying subpar products that you are not satisfied about. That's why it's taken me so long to decide.

My digital point and shoot is a left over from my dad, about 7 years old.
My previous watch is 14 years old before the strap mount broke. I still have it kept somewhere.
My 14 year old car(from my sis) still runs like a champ, and my first SLR was my dad's from 1987, retired it only a year ago.

This is also one reason why I have doubts about which DSLR to get, because I tend to stick to my stuff for way too long, which isn't exactly a good thing as things go digital.

Oh, still got my nokia 3210 from middle school days, left over from my older sis as well, and still works just fine!
 
I am happy for both of you. :er: Yea. :meh:






You both suck!!!! ;):-P
 
Ok, now it's time to look at some things.

1. Memory card. Derrel mentioned Sandisk Extreme III 8GB. It's 30MB/s and cost $50 on Amazon. As I was looking at the other options, I saw this:
SanDisk Extreme - Flash memory card - 32 GB - 400x - CompactFlash
Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme - Flash memory card - 32 GB - 400x - CompactFlash: Electronics

Basically it's a 8GB card with 60MB/s speed at about the same price. Is this even a good card? What's UDMA?

2. Remote shutter release. Here's one that is cheap but with relatively positive feed backs:
Amazon.com: Remote Shutter Release Cord for Nikon D300, D200, D2x, D3, D700 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Most of the feed backs are good but I noticed the last two feed backs complained about the unit failing after some time. Do you guys have experience with this, or is there a recommended on other than the Nikon brand one?


Another question, it didn't take too long for the charger to fully charge the battery. I suppose they pre-charged the battery before they packed it into the box. How long does it usually take to full charge a battery from being empty?
Thanks!
 
For memory cards, I use Sandisk Extremem III. Your camera with UMDA technology can utilize the extra speed the Extreme delivers. I only use 2 & 4GB cards, but have several. You can get ~100 RAW images on a 2GB, doubled for 4GB. If you keep a lookout, Sandisk runs rebates and is a way to save quite a few bucks if you can be patient..

For the wireless remote shutter release, I got a Photix Cleon off e-bay from Hong Kong. It's been a few years and the wireless part has finally failed, but the corded release still works.

Congratz and enjoy.
 
The memory card is kinda confusing. The title says 32GB but the photo shows 8GB. I think I will just avoid that seller.

Question on the D700. I've been reading the user manual like a bible all day. I can't find certain information on auto bracketing. Does the D700 do auto bracketing? I mean, let's say you program X number of stops and increment. Then when you hit the shutter, it automatically takes X number of shots with the said exposure increment?
As far as I can read and explore the camera and the manual, i can only find manual bracketing. The setting is automatic, but you still have to click it X times. I just thought it will be easier, and less movement if it does everything automatically.

Also, the LV mode basically just eliminates the mirror movement right? So if my camera is properly mounted and won't move, it shouldn't really matter?


I have tested it with my lens just now, sunset lighting so it's not the greatest. The 50mm and 20mm works great with it. The 70~300 ED lens didn't do so well, even when I pushed the ISO to 1000 so that the shutter is at around 250, at 300mm, I still get quite a bit of blur. This is hand held of course. It's hard because the ducks just won't sit still!

Weight wise, man, this is LIGHT!!! Of course, I am comparing to my F4S (with the grip). That thing is a monster! I weighted both of them today. The F4 is about 300g heavier than the D700. The D700 is around 1kg while the F4 is around 1300g. Grip wide, I prefer the F4 because it's less bulky at the handle. Plus on the F4 where the thumb rests, there is no control to accidentally bump. The D700 is packed with buttons and I will have to be careful not to hit the wheel or buttons with my thumb while supporting the weight. So far so good.

I am a designer and I am surrounded by human factor experts. I was showing my co-workers the new camera and the F4. It's funny how the form factor and surface area didn't change a whole lot, but they cramped a hack a lot more buttons onto the same surface area. Also, the D700 user manual is about twice as thick too.

I am currently restricted at 5 shots because I am using a stolen 32MB CF card from the office that came with one of the office cameras. Will post initial test shots in a bit.
 
Last edited:
AutoBracketing is dead easy. Press the Fn button, toggle the thumbwheel to the number of shots you want and you're as happy as Larry. BKT displays above the metering scale on the top panel. when number of shots is at Zero, AB is off. Oh yeah, do your setup for AB in the (e) section of your custom settings.

I use LV rarely, so someone else can chime in on that, but I think you are correct.

Crank that ISO up brutha........ :biggrin:

Don't forget to setup your shooting banks. The can come in quite handy. I have mine setup for Default (factory), Normal (general), Flash and Action (jpeg).
 
What's "shooting banks"?


Ok here are the first shots...

In the office, very dim lighting. 50mm at F1/1.2, ISO800
DSC_0011_1.jpg


50mm F1.2 at 1/800 and ISO400
DSC_0038_1.jpg


300mm F5.6 at 1/500 and ISO400
You can see the blur already even at such exposure setting.
DSC_0030_1.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom