Evening road

Alzran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somewhere in Iowa yesterday evening. Out of 4 states and roughly 250 road and scenery shots, this was my favorite. Came out better than I thought it would.
Kodak EasyShare C813; edited using pixlr.com/editor/ (clarity, vibrance, color balance)

1004731.png

Original (unedited): http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7122/1004731.jpg

Open to CC regarding camera aim, editing, cropping, and other. Please review original (unedited) link for comparison.

This photo would have improved a TON if you would have just stopped (assuming you were on the move), got out, and shot the picture from right beside your car. It would have gotten rid of the car hood at the bottom of the shot (some find it style, I find it really distracting), cut the quality loss from the windshield, gotten rid of the bug splats from the windshield, and you could have still used your headlights for ambiance, etc.

As is, it's just a quick, muddy snap shot to me.

Ironically, I actually did stop. But, I'll keep the get-out-of-the-car idea in mind next time I have an opportunity for an evening/twilight road shot. Thanks so much for the advice guys.

Do you think positioning the camera on a tripod right in front of the car between the headlights would work best for the ambient lighting effect?

I think that would work. It would keep the light pool centered in the shot and allow you the stability for a longer shutter speed. Keeping tight to the front bumper should keep you from casting a shadow into the light pool.

Don't know your background, so..... It looks like you are on a bit of a downhill out in the country. If you are going to stop, do NOT stop on the backside of a hill (just over the top). Another car can come rolling up at 60 mph and not see you until they are at your back bumper. Just a friendly reminder.

Most reactions

Back