Eventful Friday

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Around 3:30 this afternoon (Friday, Melbourne time) the workplace is 'business as usual'. Then a loud alarm starts sounding throughout the building and we all look at each other going "Huh...? :scratch:.

Ok, so it's the fire alarm, but we're wondering if someone forgot to tell us there was a drill today...ok, obviously gotta do the same thing, either way..so everyone starts heading for the fire escape.

My boss and the studio manager could only think of deadlines. My boss broodingly, sits at my reception desk chair and won't budge, even after the rest of the team have left.

"I'm not going. I have work to do" he declares, ****ed off at the alarm, like it has deliberately decided to **** him off.

Studio Manager: "Worst time for this to happen"

Phone is ringing off the hook, I answer it, telling people to call back, because the boss expects me to answer it. He turns to me...

"Go up to Building Management, see what's going on..." he says grumpily.

Building Management is on the 14th floor, we're on the 10th.

So, he expects me to get in the lift and go up to the 14th floor? Or does he expect me to take the stairs, working up against the crowd going down. If I'm going anywhere, it's DOWNSTAIRS.

He fully expects me to go up there. I'm amazed. I think "Do I look yellow to you...I aint gonna be your canary you send down the mine, you jackass!"

I placate him by calling them. The girl answers. I ask her if it's a drill/false alarm.

A recorded voice starts robotically blaring, loudly as hell, yelling "EVACUATE NOW!" repeatedly over the buildings speakers. It's almost deafening. The girl in building management goes silent.

"Are you there?" I ask.

Pause.

" I have to go!" she says.

That's my cue, thank you, click, see ya later boss and studio manager, you're on your own. I stayed way TOO long for you eijitts. I head for the crowded emergency stairwell.

Two floors down my jello legs start cramping in both thighs and I can barely carry my legs for the rest of the way. I'm thinking "ok, I don't know why you're crampin legs but hold up until I get downstairs at least!".

It was slow going at times. The line would stop for a few minutes on the stairwell and all I wanted to do was push people, going "C'mon!!"

Kept thinkin "Man, I was only 10 floors up...imagine what people on the 100th floor felt like in the twin towers..."

Anyway, finally got to the bottom, my legs didn't give out and I was pi$$ed at the boss (aint nothin new lol).

Couldn't believe he tried to send me upstairs in an emergency!

Not sure why we were evacuated,firemen spent some time up there and it took them until 5 pm to get the all clear and let us slowly back upstairs. I knock off work at 5:30 so at least some time was killed lol!

That had to be scary, Tina! :shock: There's no way I would have gone "up" to investigate a fire alarm in a building like that, either.

Glad it seems to have been a false alarm. :hugs:

Yeah, what was your boss thinking. No job is worth YOUR LIFE!!!!!! You did the right thing by going down the stairs.

What a tosser! Always pay attention to alarms.... That's why they're there. It would've been nice to say to him "told you so!" hehehehe.

Sounds like we have the same boss!

Is there some sort of idiot exam these people take?

If I were you I would confront him about this. Doesn't say much for what he thinks of you, asking you to put your life on the line so he can get extra work in. Up to you though. Glad you're ok Lumi. :)

Hiya guys!

Yeah he's a royal tosser and I wasn't impressed but I'm looking for another job and this just confirmed that I'm doing the right thing.

Ya know the amusing thing? He left quite a bit after I did, and took the elevator and got down before all of us who took the stairs! Eijitt! :lol:

I don't think that he simply didn't realize what a falling elevator can do to a human body when it impacts...I just think he's that arrogant lol.

Prophet, I bet your boss and mine have their 'Graduate of w@nker Academy' diploma's holding pride of place on their living room wall ;).

EBphotography said:
If I were you I would confront him about this. Doesn't say much for what he thinks of you, asking you to put your life on the line so he can get extra work in. Up to you though. Glad you're ok Lumi. :)

If I got started on the things I wanna give him 'What for'... I'm afraid I wouldn't stop! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back