Ever feel like you're at your limit, and it's way too low?

If I reached my limit, I'd quit- fold up the tent and pack off to new territory.

Definately take a break. When I run dry like that, I take a week off and them start shooting again..it seems like after my break I start to advance again.

I know how you feel dslr_noob, I feel like that at the moment with my photography, reading this thread has certainly made me open my eyes

Wow. So many encouraging words and so great to know that no ones alone in this.
Creative people seem to be destined for these types of feelings.

I was in a very very long rut... like a year. Then I got my digital camera. Film depressed me because it seemed like such a waste of money to be buying film, developing it, and have it all turn out like crap.
With digital I can go out, shoot hundreds of pictures, come home and empty the card... go start again.
I've noticed a huge growth in the short time I've had it.
However... my computer has had some issues and I've had to reformat so I'm depressed again because I dont have all the programs installed yet. And I'm not sure if I trust my computer either right now.

It's very hard for me to get out of ruts sometimes. What works one time will do the opposite the next. Sometimes reading books or looking at pictures online will help and give me inspiration. Other times I get more depressed because I think that I could never be that good.

I may print this thread out for when I'm really down and out and can read all the lovely and encouraging words everyone has posted.

I'm glad that this thread was able to help out those who don't want to feel alone, including me. It sheds some light at the end of a tunnel. Thank you for anyone who posted.

I'm a little late, and there's plenty of great advice here already, but what the hey...

One thing that really helped me, was to take a look at my photos, and look for similarities. I looked at the subjects, composition, settings I used, and noted the trends. I noticed that my composition seemed to always put the subect in the same area of the frame, that I didn't play with angles enough, etc. Every time I'd shoot after that, I'd keep those things in mind and try and avoid them, or alternatively, include them if it was something that was missing.

Also you could just take a break, and admire other's work. Don't just say "Wow that's a great picture!" say "Wow! That's a great picture! I like how they did ___", and think about how you can use those elements when you shoot next time.

Or you could just take a break entirely for a little bit. Getting frustrated certainly doesn't help. Don't beat yourself up, remember, you're supposed to be having fun. Whatever you chose to do, good luck to you :)

When i get bored, i just try to find the most amazing picture and do everything in my power to perfectly duplicate it, after i do, i've learnt something i didnt know before, this way your improving the whole time, putting new spins on everything.

;)If your getting photography block then your not divulging into the art enough. Find a 'muse' or as mentioned someone who is so inspiring you dont want to set your camera down.

I go through this every week. And if this thread has shown you anything,,, we are not alone. Art is hard. We can't be inspiring and inspired all the time otherwise we'd probably overheat. hehehe.

just referring to your original post, you mentioned you take 30 photos a day. There used to be a slogan printed on my old school's swimming building "Practise does not make Perfect. Perfect practise makes perfect"

So basically don't waste your time if your hearts not there in it when you're practising. Do something else.... find inspiration somewhere else.

I go to the art gallery almost 3 times a month for inspiration. If I'm in a rut I never ever go into the photography section. I stick to the other art forms I don't / can't do and I get so amazed at everything. Then I probably won't take a photo for a few days/ week because I'll be so depressed at how good everyone else is. But then I'll just have my camera with me, but I won't be 'out' to take a photo in particular, and something just happens sometimes and you get inspired at the right time.

I feel like I don't have the time. I am thinking about photography all the time and I take the camera with me. It just seems like every time I sit down to read something or try to focus on taking some pictures one of my children needs me.
I am so frustrated at times.

Me too! and mine are brand new college students! I thought by this time I would be having a little more time to dedicate to my craft.

Time seems to always be in short supply. I have loads of good ideas. No time.

My best advice to a young enthuasisatic person is to shoot, and shoot and shoot....and take a community college class. Talk to other photographers, Get out and move about your community. Take a bus if you never do that...just go some where with your camera and see what transpires. Dont think about what you are going to eventually do with the photos. Just find things that interest you for a second. If it catches your eye...work it with the camera.

And remember it is supposed to be fun.:lol:

To be honest...... I haven't read any... I guess I could use a bit of photographic studying.

And there it is.

Get yourself some instruction. Read books. Attend seminars. Take classes.

It's a lifelong journey with few shortcuts. One of my favorite quotes:

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents and the ocean was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." ~Daniel J. Boorstin

You say you know the technical stuff, and how exposure works. Do you really?

I've been at this for most of 40 years. I'm still learning. It's not easy to be calm when you're young and excited about something, but you have to have some patience and go through the learning process.

Arm yourself with some solid training.

It's gonna be OK... really.

-Pete

challenge yourself with a shooting situation thats hard to do, that you have nto shot before. Then you will learn and improve more throughout all your shots ....

I learned stuff while shooting a fastmoving, and dimly lit reception at a sweet 15 party that I incorporate into some aspects of all my shooting, challenge yourself to shoot something very difficult, you will learn and grow.

Some fantastic advise all through this thread. I really like the photo-blog idea.

I might even try that, only maybe one exceptional shot per week instead of daily.

I find myself waiting up to a week before I even remember I have a camera
then I pick it up and have a blast with it. I find changing lenses makes me
want to shoot more as well. My favorite thing about SLR photography is the
fact that the lenses are sooooo easy to change out. I'll sell a lens, get exactly
what I paid for it and then buy another one. There are several that I won't
be getting rid of, like my 50mm 1.4, but the point is that it seems to help me
get motivated and creative.

There are so many aspects to this "hobby" that it is difficult to do them all.
My next purchase will likely be another flash so I can do some creative flash
photography.

Oh yeah, I like the little contest here on this forum. I was disappointed with
August being the "worst photo ever" but I am looking forward to the September
contest. I have submitted a lot of photos to the contests and haven't won
yet, but I always get a few votes, and to me, that speaks volumes about
where I am with my piture takin'.

:D

To the OP if you feel you've gone as far as you can ,maybe you have..
This is not a bad thing we need to continue learning to improve.
Grab some books from the library on art and composition it will give you a fresh outlook.
Play with curves and angles as leading lines.
then when you've exhausted that ,get some books on great photographers and look at their images can be very inspireing..

I've really been into photography for about the same time as you; 8 months, and even then the first few were what I call the snapshot months.

I think I know how you feel, though. At this very moment, I do feel like I'm improving, but that could just be because I've recently been to better places to shoot at.

But as short as two weeks ago, though, I felt how you do. I don't have a solution to offer, besides: keep shooting. For me, I almost wanted to sell my camera and just stop, because that seemed like the only way I could stop havng to see each worse shot as I uploaded them. But I kept shooting, and that's helped. For now.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back