"Everyone with a camera calls themself a photographer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
From everything I have experinced, heard and read it appears established pros are very nervous right now. Typical responses are "the industry is flooded right now so dont attempt to get into it" or "its a dying industry I would look for a different career" These statements are absurd and appear to be more of a pro not wanting competition than a pro really caring about my well being in life. If an amerature posses that much of a threatl then maybe your skills as a professional are not that great. If I can produce the same images you create with 1/5 the equiptment cost are my images not as good. To me many pros are elitists and if you didn't study photography in school and work under many people than your work is worth nothing.

I dont think Tiger woods is telling anyone "you sould not even take up golf its already too cmpetative and all you're gong to do is huirt me because you undercut my prices" If you're a pro than act like it and take photos that I cannot. If you cant than I guess either I am a pro as well or you are just an amerature.

Well, I have seen some beginners here with practically no clue about wb and proper lighting and yet they persist with watermarking their photos with something like "Steves Photography". Cracks me up every time.

I mean, is it that shameful to be doing photography at an amateur level? Adding full name would have been understandable, but adding something that sounds like a company/professional establishment is just weird.

It bugs me when people do that.

I don't blame her at all for the response she gave you.

Wow, someone is a little bitter? :lol:

I second shoot for a wedding photographer, with absolutely NO intention of ever turning pro... or maybe I will... I do not know, matter of fact it is not important. What is important was what could I return to the photographer in return to what they would be giving me.

Many new photographers want to learn by being mentored in real life, there is nothing wrong with that, however... I will let people in on a secret as to why I think I so easily found a 'tog that would let me do it whereas some others will find it difficult:

- I educated myself in the basics and was strong in them BEFORE asking to be mentored. A professional is paid for their time. They do not want to spend hours teaching someone "the basics".

- I developed a small portfolio in digital and print format for their perusal.

- I displayed a desire to learn from them and to offer them the benefits of their education for their benefit.

- I expected NOTHING in return other than knowledge and the right to ask questions in a manner and time that would not interfere with their business.

- I never appeared threatening to their business, or livelyhood.

- I appeared (and sincerely was!) enthusiastic about the opportunity.

- I would NEVER do it over the phone or internet... face to face is the ONLY way to go!

What would put me off if someone asking me to mentor them, spend my time, risk my business... and they had not even taken the time to understand and the basics well and know their own camera to perfection.

If the professional is both good, locally respected, and confident in their own skills, they have no problems sharing under the right circumstances.

Don't go to a pro expecting them to teach you the difference between shutter or aperture priority and even remotely take you seriously.

I approached it with the same zeal I would a job interview, and was succesful on my 2nd attempt (first one was very insecure and not very friendly, so I wished them well and moved on). Don't give up, but don't expect freebies without doing your own homework in advance. One almost has to come into the situation with the attitude that someone will prostitute you so that you can learn the ropes. For me, I was just fine with that... lol.

The first 3 times I am not even allowed to show you a picture of what I took, noting to add to my portfolio... #4 is coming up in June and not only was I offered the chance again, I will be paid and the pics will be in my portfolio. I was also involved in aspects of the business that I did not expect... I attended the client meetings AND signing event at a restaurant. I was allowed to interact in a manner as if I was a partner in the transaction in the meetings, and representative of the photographer's business. That was a great chance to see how they worked with people.

I am SO looking forward to doing this wedding!

Well, I just mean that there are 2 sides to everything, so it would be easier to see what she was saying by actually seeing the actual emails between the 2 of you. Like maybe you are misinterpreting something? Or maybe she is just a *****? Just would be easier if we (I?) saw the actual correspondence.

I can totally understand her comment though, that everyone with a camera calls them self a photographer.. i can see it everywhere - Once people start using Aperture Priority and getting shallow DOF they think they're good enough to be called a Photographer.

Same as mentioned with the watermarks that try to look professional and especially the ones that actually have the word "photography" in them..

I still consider myself a noob even though i've been on and off over the last 4 - 5 years. I would in fact cringe at myself if i were to call myself a photographer.. in the same respect that i'd have to correct someone if they called me a photographer .. "nah it's just a hobby".

You see a lot of questions with people new to the game asking how they could make money out of their photographs even though they've not been at it for long.. it's not going to happen unless you're naturally a 'pro' lol.

I'll never call myself a photographer until the day where i can visualise in my head exactly what i want, use the right tools and get it right first time, and even then i think the end photograph would need to be used in some way professionally as well.

No harm to anyone with ambition with a true desire to learn about the trade and spend time doing so, after all, that's why we're all here, isn't it?

And no harm to pro photographers being a little bitter, as mentioned that sort of thing happens everywhere in everything, we tend to be defensive over the things we've worked on over our lives and it is only natural to feel threatened in some way.. i think once you've done it so long you probably forget the mountain you had to climb to get where you are and would even possibly consider it easy as it's probably now second nature to you and hence why you'd feel easily threatened.

Dunno.. what what the question?

I think Jerry made some very valid points here.

From my experience you should approach a pro and ask to to be mentored only after either;

1. Having been formally educated with qualifications in photography

Or

2. Can demonstrate a sound self taught understanding of not only the technical aspects of photography but also having a creative edge.

All the pro's i know that have excepted an assistant have only gone for ones with at least a diploma in photography.... with the exception of one, who having a very keen interest, could answer any reasonable tachnical question off the cuff without hessitation.

If it were me, i would either build a portfolio of prints and go round showing pro's what you can do... or create a website and email them the link with an explination of 'i would like to take my photography to the next level'... or something similar.... DO NOT say 'Hi, im just starting out...' you will not get a reply.

As far as what a photographer is, a photographer is simply someone who like to take pictures with a camera... nothing more. In the same way someone who likes to make sculptures in plastcine can call themselves an artist.

Whether the art in question is any good or not is subjective... the art industry comes TOP of the list of allowing anyone to be part of it if they choose... its just the majority won't make anything of thier chosen profession.

I went to art collage in a class of around 32 people... i know of about 6 who are still in the industry of design work, (myself included)... and believe me that number is even less for photography... ;)

Oh yea !? well blame Ashton Kutcher and his damn Nikon commercials. Why are DSLRs suddenly becoming mainstream. Im talking about the sudden surge in TV commercials.

ive never seen a dSLR advertised on television

ashton kutcher is advertising the nikon coolpix...whats the big deal?

ive never seen a dSLR advertised on television

ashton kutcher is advertising the nikon coolpix...whats the big deal?

He's also doing D60 commercials. BTW.... the D300 is also in the commercial.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh. now i feel silly because i hadnt seen that one on tv.

i dont think that its anyones place to tell you what you are or are not. its funny because the people that are professionals pretend like they never had a dream/want to be what they have BECOME. they werent born with a career as a photographer, they had to earn it. much like amateurs are trying to do. instead of giving you knowledge to go off of and try to build your own skills around, they just cut you down. dont let em do that :D

and the comments about people who watermark their photos, i dont see what is so comical about it? maybe its just me tho?:confused:

For me, a photographer is anyone who takes photos with the intention of making art, as opposed to a holiday family snapshooter. It's as simple as that.

Now, there are good artists and bad ones, but they are still artists and they are photographers if the take photos with artistic intentions. That is how I see it anyway.

For me, a photographer is anyone who takes photos with the intention of making art, as opposed to a holiday family snapshooter. It's as simple as that.

Now, there are good artists and bad ones, but they are still artists and they are photographers if the take photos with artistic intentions. That is how I see it anyway.

Tru dat! On the other subject, I started to watermark my photos because I just want to let people know that this certain photo means something to me and that its my own original work not something i swiped from a site.

Anyone that takes a photo and conveys an emotion is a photographer to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back