"Everyone with a camera calls themself a photographer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I responded to this post I left the forum to grab a shower and I felt like I had an incomplete post. I thought I should add something:

I am a part time pro in that I do subsidize my living with my camera and I do have a few ongoing contracts. I can't yet go pro full time but I am working on a deal within my company that will be very exciting and is a full time pro position.

So... with that said, I too get very, very irritated in that a greater number of people that are buying and using cameras are calling themselves "photographers". I do personally believe that the market is becoming more saturated with people passing off everything that shoot as "art", and yes I do know that "art" is subjective to those that view/sell/buy it. Not that I begrudge them for it, I personally think that they [the artist/photographer] should portray themselves in the appropriate light.

I will also add to the bad examples to represent my views:

I have never shot with a bow and arrow. Chances are that with these two tools and a few yards distance, I probably could hit the broad side of a barn. I am however not truthful to myself or anyone else by claiming to be an archer.

I do commend the OP in her gumption. GO FOR IT!!! If you lived near me, I'd let you shadow me.

This post was a blanket "soap box" statement and isn't directed to anyone in particular.

David

I have never shot with a bow and arrow. Chances are that with these two tools and a few yards distance, I probably could hit the broad side of a barn. I am however not truthful to myself or anyone else by claiming to be an archer.

If you bought a bow and arrow, LOVED shooting it, read many books on it and leanred the technical aspect of it, spent your day thinking about it, shot decent enough to hit the narrow side of the barn, then I would call you an archer. Because you have a passion for it, and spend time trying to improve it. If you really sucked at it I would call you an amateur archer, if you were really good I would call you a professional archer.

There is no way everyone here will agree to have the same opinion. At least I have a dictionary to back up my opinion ;)

There is no way everyone here will agree to have the same opinion. At least I have a dictionary to back up my opinion ;)

That is so true.
Everyone can go on and on and on(as seen by some of the posts in here) as to what "their" definition of the word photographer is but unless you are hoping to write a dictionary that will be regarded as the new standard for word definition i don't really care what your opinion is about your definition.
We all use English on here, some better than others, and as such we are all bound by the Dictionary of English in terms of defining meaning of words in this language.

Maybe the original poster should have responded to the email she recieved with; "Well as the definition of the word photographer is a person who takes photographs then technically anyone with a camera who uses it is a photogrpaher. I hope that your photography skills are better than your understanding of the English language. Good day."

Rick, I love your work and I think you are a hell of a photographer. I soOOOoo absolutely see where you're coming from, but I think you were having a bad day when you wrote this (I hope).

I do agree on protecting the image and some of her style but I do think her response was uncalled for. You can politely shoot down someones interest in shadowing you but I don't think you need to berate them for asking.

As to the response I would have given: I would have asked her how she came to be in the profession. She at some point in her life had to shoot her first wedding and take her first "pro" session. I would venture to believe that she (as did most of us "pros") shadowed, paid for, stole, failed by and succeeded in practice on her own and I am sure without a doubt in my mind, that she herself asked another "pro" before her "Hey, how'd you do that?"

I think she "the photographer" is bitter person that forgot her background and probably isn't a good mentor in the first place.

One mans opinion.

David

Rick... love your work and we've followed each other around enough in these forums to know that I don't mean this to be combative. We have got to shoot with each other! =o)

David, where the hell have you been? I have not seen you on here in a long time.

Yes, old age is catching up with me. I am now officially an old, pissed off fart. Or, as I was called on another thread- I am an ass and a putz. I like that. Makes me realize I am still breathing.

I want to make an apology to anyone I may have offended.

Thanks David, for the very kind words about my work.

How is the project about the churches coming along? The stuff I saw was excellent. Talk to you later, my friend.

to say a musician is someone who creates nice music is ludacris... there are plenty of musicians out there who create music that makes me want to pull my eyes out.... you've brought up an interesting point mr rodgers.... and I would say NO, your not a musician simply if you have a guitar and don't use it.. just like I'd say your not a photographer if you have a camera and don't use it..... however, most people do use cameras when they have them.. and most people use them more than once every 2 years... remember, I'm not speaking in pro and amature... i'm simply using the english dictionary which states that a photographer is "someone who takes photographs"

Wow chrisburke, what a signature file!

You know, in your Profile there's a section where your can list your camera gear.

I wonder if it makes Tom Glavine angry that high school kids that throw baseballs at batters call themselves pitchers?

Or if Bill Dance gets all wound up because people call themselves fishermen?

I think the answer to this difference of opinion is simple:

All really, really, really professional photographers should be forced, legally to call themselves by the appropriate title.

"John Doe Photography" would legally have to be called "John Doe Professional Photography."

That way, you pro's and semi-pro folks - and wanna-be pro's - can worry more about your photography businesses and less about people that have the nerve to call themselves photographers just because they take photographs! ;)

After all, you'll then have that special title of "professional" in front of your name and that way you won't forget you're better than all the people who are just snapshooters! I know, it's an awesome idea....no thanks needed, just send money. (I need it to go out and have some business cards made with Owl's Professional Photography on them! :) )

See, problem solved!

I wonder if it makes Tom Glavine angry that high school kids that throw baseballs at batters call themselves pitchers?

Or if Bill Dance gets all wound up because people call themselves fishermen?

I think the answer to this difference of opinion is simple:

All really, really, really professional photographers should be forced, legally to call themselves by the appropriate title.

"John Doe Photography" would legally have to be called "John Doe Professional Photography."

That way, you pro's and semi-pro folks - and wanna-be pro's - can worry more about your photography businesses and less about people that have the nerve to call themselves photographers just because they take photographs! ;)

After all, you'll then have that special title of "professional" in front of your name and that way you won't forget you're better than all the people who are just snapshooters! I know, it's an awesome idea....no thanks needed, just send money. (I need it to go out and have some business cards made with Owl's Professional Photography on them! :) )

See, problem solved!

Good idea but.... do you really need to be a "professional' to be a professional photographer???

It's mostly the camera that takes the great pictures not the person behind it....

I often tape down the shutter release on my D60 and pitch it straight up in the air.... the result? 20 or 30 perfectly composed shots with excellent exposure every time.....

It's the camera that should be getting paid.... not the dummy behind it...

Sarcastic comments by a noob(me) - free
Getting the professionals riled up - free
Bewildering people that don't get sarcasm - free
Getting a sarcastic reply from someone who doesn't get my sarcasm but uses it themselves - priceless!

Reminds me of an episode of Foster's Home where Bloo insists he's not sarcastic by saying something along the lines of " Yeah, and I'm the Queen of England" or some such. :)

Lighten up people. Life's too short.

Sarcastic comments by a noob(me) - free
Getting the professionals riled up - free
Bewildering people that don't get sarcasm - free
Getting a sarcastic reply from someone who doesn't get my sarcasm but uses it themselves - priceless!

Reminds me of an episode of Foster's Home where Bloo insists he's not sarcastic by saying something along the lines of " Yeah, and I'm the Queen of England" or some such. :)

Lighten up people. Life's too short.

psst.... here's a little secret....;).... I got your sarcasm....

I am also sure Tiger Woods does not give away lessons, training, etc. to competitors for free.

From everything I have experinced, heard and read it appears established pros are very nervous right now. Typical responses are "the industry is flooded right now so dont attempt to get into it" or "its a dying industry I would look for a different career" These statements are absurd and appear to be more of a pro not wanting competition than a pro really caring about my well being in life. If an amerature posses that much of a threatl then maybe your skills as a professional are not that great. If I can produce the same images you create with 1/5 the equiptment cost are my images not as good. To me many pros are elitists and if you didn't study photography in school and work under many people than your work is worth nothing.

I dont think Tiger woods is telling anyone "you sould not even take up golf its already too cmpetative and all you're gong to do is huirt me because you undercut my prices" If you're a pro than act like it and take photos that I cannot. If you cant than I guess either I am a pro as well or you are just an amerature.

Last edited:
I totally agree with your response to the poster. And I am confounded by the number of beginner photographers that want/ask/or expect to "shadow" professionals for free (or as an apprentice as- if they are doing us a favor). My advice to all want to be professional photographers is to approach professionals as professionals and expect to pay for their advice and time (if they are so inclined to give it).

I totally agree with your response to the poster. And I am confounded by the number of beginner photographers that want/ask/or expect to "shadow" professionals for free (or as an apprentice as- if they are doing us a favor). My advice to all want to be professional photographers is to approach professionals as professionals and expect to pay for their advice and time (if they are so inclined to give it).

I am confounded about how new people respond to thread that has been dead for four years! lol! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back