Excessive noise when editing in PS RAW

If you show that as a desktop wallpaper, you wont see the whole thing unless you pick the stretch option. If you are on photoshop and you click on display print size, same thing. I you pick display to pixel size, then it will be even be more zoomed in assuming your screen is 72ppi.

Yes, that's my point...using the stretch option to display an image that has twice the pixels width and height will, MUST degrade the image. The program (Windows, whatever) must make choices on what to lose. This was why I got excessive noise in Windows when displaying large images with large ppi. When I made the ppi the same as the native ppi on the screen, and the pixel dimensions of the image the same, then I get no excessive noise.

When I am in photoshop I have set the options in my settings to 100ppi which is the resolution of my screen. When I display print size in Photoshop it shows true print size. If the image is cropped to 4x6 for example, it shows as 4x6 on the screen. (I even got a ruler and measured it, to make sure that what I was doing was right). So, I know that PPI is important in PS, but am saying that it also made a difference in display with windows.

Anyway...as an aside...isn't it DPI that is important for printing, rather than PPI? Or is that a whole nother can 'o' worms?

Whatever pixel dimension you screen has, set the dimension of the wallpaper to that. Doesn't matter what the ppi is.

Thanks for the replies. I will get some of the reading material, but I am still not sure what to do. But I will leave it at that.

I think your thread got taken to a place that had nothing to do with your problem. Like Kmh said, the amount of clarity and vibrance you used most likely lead to an increase in noise. When you use these controls, view the image at 100% so you can see the effect they have on the image. Blue skies can become very noisy quickly, because noise is more visible there than an area that has texture

Most reactions

Back