Fallen

seaain.gray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The title of the second photo is "Driftwood" but someone used that title very recently. This driftwood is ashore at Porter's Point, Colchester, Vermont. Lake Champlain. Probably came down the Winooski river which enters the lake within a mile or so of this location. Clearly someone cut the roots.

The root bundle is about 8 feet in diameter, so it's rather large. Two summers ago it was aground in about two feet of water about forty feet from shore. This past summer it was washed all the way ashore which is where it remains. I thought it would make a good B&W study.

This is a digital conversion. C&C always welcome.

p1063329382-4.jpg

p328766296-4.jpg

Enjoyable studies on black and white!
I tend to like the first a bit more, though I'm wondering if that one might be on the brink of over-sharpening. The detail of the bark is VERY clearly to be seen, although the photo is only 630px long, and I wonder if they aren't too sharp? And some of the whites on the de-barked parts look hot.

The second can be better viewed at 800px wide, and so it shows easily that the horizon is not straight and the waters of Lake Champlain are soon going to find themselves on my desk ;). The texture of the bark is once again very sharp. But it looks ok here.

I don't know...I think I like the 2nd better...lots of great contrast!! Is the horizon really off on that one...or is it an "illusion", due to the patter of waves, and that sort of darker/shaded area?? Don't know?

The 1st one is good, but maybe too tighly cropped for my taste?

:O)

I like #1 better. I love the tight crop.
I'm using a very poor screen at work to view these. Are there some blown out areas on the bark?

Thanks. I think there are some blown highlights on the de-barked areas, especially in number 2. Also I think you are correct that the horizon is tilted.

I'll try to fix and resumbit. Many, many thanks!

There's a way to tone down the hot spots in photo shop by limiting the maximum brightness. Don't ask me how though, as I'm not a ps'er.

As for the photos, they're okay if you're checking out the resolution of your lens. Otherwise I would have preferred more scenery.

No sharpening, worked on highlights in conversion. Conversion was with simulated yellow filter, with a tiny bump in brightness and half a tiny bump in contrast.

p501419654-4.jpg

No sharpening, corrected tilt, worked on highlights in conversion. Conversion was with simulated yellow filter, with a tiny bump in brightness and half a tiny bump in contrast.

p837199413-4.jpg

Last edited:
I really like both corrections.

And LaFoto can now dry off her desk! :lmao:

Most reactions

Back