Family/Maternity Shoot C&C

ang1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple pictures from the other day...
I was not very happy with the way they turned out :(

Please C&C!!!!!

47a1cf28b3127cce98549b0e1d8800000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

#2 I hate how her arm is in this picture but we could not get the kids to kiss her stomach and the was the best one
47a1cf28b3127cce98549b5a1ddc00000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

47a1cf28b3127cce98549b5f9ce900000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

47a1cf28b3127cce98549b519ce700000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

you got a sharp lens but the compositions doesn't work for me.
the crops and background are a little bit off

I have a feeling everyone is feeling that way :)

C&C per req:
The technical side is fine, but the artistic, IMO, has room for improvment. First of all... brown? Really? The single most exciting colour in the world. The difference in value between her different articles of clothing worked against you and made your job a lot harder than it should have been. The main issue for me in #1 is the background. I suspect that with a little looking around you could have found a much more suitable location.

The background is also an issue in #2; the black dots on the ground, details on the wall, etc are all visual distractins. The monochrome conversion is a bit too contrasty, but other than that, not bad. I'm not fond of the composition here though; it just seems very haphazard.
In #3, the background is again distracting. The 3/4 view isn't usually optimal for showing off the pregnancy, and if the client wishes to remain fully clothed than a profile usually works best.

#4... up the nose shot. 'Nuf said.

Overall, they're not bad, but I would suggest working much harder on your posing and composition. To me, these look rather like the client told you what poses she wanted and assumed them without any input or direction from you.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the critique!!!

This was my first maternity shoot that I have done and I'm not using that as an excuse! :)

I know what you are saying about the brown. All of the colors were the same and there was nothing that was very colorful. I couldn't really help what she picked out to wear.

I agree with what you said! :)

I know what you are saying about the brown. All of the colors were the same and there was nothing that was very colorful. I couldn't really help what she picked out to wear.
Actually, that's part of your job; clothing style and colour should always be discussed at the pre-shoot consultation. If the client insists on wearing a particular outfit, then yes, you have to work with it, but if you can get to them to wear something which is easier for you to work with...

Given that I haven't shot maternity before I hope this could be somewhat helpful:

I would presume that the act of photographing a pregnant woman is a very intimate matter, especially when the entire family is involved/appearing in the shots.

With that in mind IMO the clothing is an issue here as it is already creating somewhat of a visual barrier between the intimate feeling of pregnancy and the closeness to the family member.

An indoor shoot with lighter (and brighter colored) clothes would have made a big difference.

The composition also plays a big role (naturally) but also the model's pose. For example in the last picture I get this military soldier feeling (given the angle and the standing up straight posture of the model). The model should appear (or actually be) relaxed. Sometimes this can be achieved by having them sit down, leaning against something or laying down. This would more in harmony with the fact that she is expecting. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Given that I haven't shot maternity before I hope this could be somewhat helpful:

I would presume that the act of photographing a pregnant woman is a very intimate matter, especially when the entire family is involved/appearing in the shots.

With that in mind IMO the clothing is an issue here as it is already creating somewhat of a visual barrier between the intimate feeling of pregnancy and the closeness to the family member.

An indoor shoot with lighter (and brighter colored) clothes would have made a big difference.

The composition also plays a big role (naturally) but also the model's pose. For example in the last picture I get this military soldier feeling (given the angle and the standing up straight posture of the model). The model should appear (or actually be) relaxed. Sometimes this can be achieved by having them sit down, leaning against something or laying down. This would more in harmony with the fact that she is expecting. Just my 2 cents. ;)

+1 Those jumpers look like throw backs from the 1970's, at least in shot 1 they look happy

They're not TERRIBLE, but this is my suggestion- hit up flikr or Google "maternity portraits". Look at the ones you like the most, what do you notice first about them? Second? I will say this about your shots- every single one of them have hands on the belly. There is a way of conveying a message without being obvious about it. Sometimes you need to go through all of the cliche shots to discover what works and what doesn't. Don't be afraid to write out a shot list. Don't be afraid to deviate from the shot list. Almost no one looks great shooting from underneath up.

Thanks for the advice! :)

This was my first maternity shoot and they weren't paying me and the lady was being sorta a pain so I know I didn't give it my all. Not making excuses! :) I totally agree with what you have said! :) Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back