Family photos I took 2 years ago vs recently

hmmm yeah still not buying that. I primarily shoot families/kids. When I upgraded from the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4 I noticed a huge difference in image quality (sharpness/bokeh).

Pix or that didn't happen! :D

You don't need pics. Just do a thread search for '50 1.8 vs 50 1.4' ;).

Trust me folks, the gear has a little thing to do with it. I just have more clear understanding with how to use the sun and the background to my advantage plus sometimes adding off camera flash to the mix. All of this conversation makes me really itch wanting to try shooting my kids with a rebel and 55-200 or 55-300 lens. I dont think it matters that much. I will try to borrow a rebel and kit lens very soon and do this experiment.

I will disagree to an extent as well. Okay Robin, here is your challenge. I would like to see that same quality of an image and that same creamy, yummy bokeh with your Rebel and either the 55-200 or the 55-300 lens. I am not saying that skill is not a HUGE factor, but quality primes are very noticeable. Are you game?

I will disagree to an extent as well. Okay Robin, here is your challenge. I would like to see that same quality of an image and that same creamy, yummy bokeh with your Rebel and either the 55-200 or the 55-300 lens. I am not saying that skill is not a HUGE factor, but quality primes are very noticeable. Are you game?

You know what would really be good is a shot using a rebel + kit lens. Then the same shot using a ff camera + 'nice' lens (with same focal length). I think that would win my argument :)

You know what would really be good is a shot using a rebel + kit lens. Then the same shot using a ff camera + 'nice' lens (with same focal length). I think that would win my argument :)

Yep. Let's see if he is up for it. Okay Robin, get er' done! :)

He may not be able to do wide angle bokeh, but at the end of the 200mm or 300mm and strategically placed background, it will be very difficult to tell. However, you're talking about better bokeh which is different than better pictures. Quality bokeh doesn't automatically make your pictures better.

He may not be able to do wide angle bokeh, but at the end of the 200mm or 300mm and strategically placed background, it will be very difficult to tell. However, you're talking about better bokeh which is different than better pictures. Quality bokeh doesn't automatically make your pictures better.

We never said we were talking specifically about bokeh. That is a big factor, but nice lenses are also a lot sharper...and at lower fstops at that. I have a 55-250mm 'kit' lens and yes it gets more bokeh than my 50 1.4. But that isn't the whole argument here.

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

really? hmmm....

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1904282

yes really...

failed.gif

vtec44, Sorry I did add 'mm' after 50....I didn't realize you didn't know how to use the search feature.

btw sorry Robin for your thread being hijacked

In my original comment to Robin, I could tell he was using a quality prime lens by the bokeh in his images. It looked like the 85, 100, or the 135 just from the bokeh. That's why I asked him what he was using. I was just curious. I understand quality bokeh doesn't make your images better, but I just happen to adore properly done bokeh.

We never said we were talking specifically about bokeh. That is a big factor, but nice lenses are also a lot sharper...and at lower fstops at that. I have a 55-250mm 'kit' lens and yes it gets more bokeh than my 50 1.4. But that isn't the whole argument here.

That was the answer to kathythorson's challenge. lol I print on large canvases, over 40x40" at times. Noise, sharpness, bokeh are all relative to what you do.

That was the answer to kathythorson's challenge. lol I print on large canvases, over 40x40" at times. Noise, sharpness, bokeh are all relative to what you do.

I'm sorry that is just b.s. if that is what you believe then why do you have nice gear?

vtec44, Sorry I did add 'mm' after 50....I didn't realize you didn't know how to use the search feature.

I did a cut and paste using the terms you wanted me to search for. Even clicking the URL you provided came up with the same error.

I'm sorry that is just b.s. if that is what you believe then why do you have nice gear?

I shoot objects moving at at over 100mph. I shoot in the rain. I shoot in the dirt. I shoot in dark rooms. I shoot in below freezing temperature. I capture once in a life time moments that require instant focus. I also use my iPhone to take pictures of my kids. :D

Most reactions

Back