Famous people from your town?

Famous (or infamous) people born in Anchorage, Alaska...

Irene Bedard — One of the most famous Native American actresses working in TV and films, Irene Bedard is best known to audiences as the voice of the title character in Disney's animated feature Pocahontas.

Valerie Plame Wilson — Central figure of a Washington DC controversy in which she is alleged to have been outed as a CIA "operative" by members of the Bush Administration.

I live in a teeny tiny town, but Jamestown NY about 1/2 hour north of me is where Lucille Ball from I Love Lucy is from and about 1/2 South of me in Meadville PA is where the actress Sharon Stone is from.

Wally said:
I live in a teeny tiny town, but Jamestown NY about 1/2 hour north of me is where Lucille Ball from I Love Lucy is from and about 1/2 South of me in Meadville PA is where the actress Sharon Stone is from.

How can you forget about Natalie Merchant!? There really isn't much in Jamestown besides Lucille and Natalie. Bunch of old stinky factories. But it is pretty interesting that most of the city is heated by the power plant's hot water output.

Here in Bedford we have ...

John Bunyan, the celebrated writer, was imprisoned in Bedford, where he wrote "Pilgrim's Progress" - a book which has been translated into hundreds of languages.

Charles Wells (1842-1914) was a sea-captain in the 1860s who, in order to win the girl he loved, abandoned the sea and started his now famous brewery. Four generations later the firm still remains with the family.

Frederick Burnaby (1842-1885), famed explorer (Asia) and military officer

Harold Abrahams (1899-1978) Born in Bedford, Abrahams was one of Britain's most accomplished athletes. At the 1924 Olympics in Paris, Abraham's main British rival in sprint events, Eric Liddell, was a devout Christian and declined to compete in the 100-metre event, which was held on a Sunday; Abrahams won the gold medal, the first Englishman to win this event. (Liddell instead ran in the 400-metre, winning the gold medal.) Abrahams shared a silver medal as a member of Britain's 400-metre relay team.
Liddell's and Abrahams' experiences at the 1924 Olympics provided the subject of the 1981 film "Chariots of Fire."

Glenn Miller and his band was based in Bedford during the war. Many of his broadcasts were made in Bedford.

Tim Foster, Olympic Champion, 2000

Stephanie Cook, Olympic Champion, 2000

Paula Radcliffe, team leader at the 2000 Olympics.

Martin Bayfield, former rugby International player

Ronnie Barker, comedian.

Al Murray , comedian

Rav said:
Harold Abrahams (1899-1978) Born in Bedford, Abrahams was one of Britain's most accomplished athletes. At the 1924 Olympics in Paris, Abraham's main British rival in sprint events, Eric Liddell, was a devout Christian and declined to compete in the 100-metre event, which was held on a Sunday; Abrahams won the gold medal, the first Englishman to win this event. (Liddell instead ran in the 400-metre, winning the gold medal.) Abrahams shared a silver medal as a member of Britain's 400-metre relay team.
Liddell's and Abrahams' experiences at the 1924 Olympics provided the subject of the 1981 film "Chariots of Fire."

Eric Liddell went to my school! Along with Livingstone, Chalmers and Moffat. It was a school for the sons of missionaries, which explains the high religious attendance.

Rob

the most famous person from my town is me for getting into Yale! :lmao: but Springfield, MO (close to me and where i used to live) is where Brad Pitt is from! Yay! Brad Pitt!!!!!!!!!!

j/k don't really like him.

John Elway played part of one school year at the HS that I attended. Other than that....I know of nobody famous from Port Angeles.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back