Fashion Week Ad Campain Shoot [C&C Welcome]

Sweetneers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I shot some promo stuff for Fashion Week. Thought I'd post some of it. I did all the post and photo shop work. Most of the images are NOT the actual ad images, as I'm not allowed to release them at this time. C&C is of course welcome.

1: Was ask to do a head shot-y kinda thing in this shoot, and I particularly like it. This is not the final image, as this does not showcase the clothing. ;)

IMG_1829 by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

2: Was done for a sponsor of Fashion Week. Not for a designer.

IMG_1704 by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

3. Was done for a headlining designer

IMG_0715edit by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

4. A Fashion Week Promo Shot

IMG_0360_a by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

And this: Not from this shoot, but I liked it and it was fashion oriented, so why the hell not?:

IMG_4074 by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

How do you enter as a photographer for such an event? Do you have to be hired or do yuo just pay a fee to shoot there?

There's something about the first two compositions that just doesn't sit right with me.

I think it's because the first is horizontal, and with that hairdo it almost seems opposite of what it should be since the model is much more vertical than horizontal. If it was done for copy then I understand. I also don't like the lighting setup. The shadows aren't too deep but they're still there under her brow. And it's a bit uneven with the top camera-left of her face being brighter and having splotchy lighting down towards her chin into the other side of her face. It just seems inconsistent. I think this is the weakest photo.

The second has a weird composition. It almost looks like it's trying too hard with the mirror showing the front of the garment and her hand over her head showing the bracelets. And with the texture of the walls being reflected in the mirror along with the frame of the mirror intersecting her. It just seems like too much to me.

The third is great. It shows the clothes off well, the lighting is flattering and pleasant, and the photo is very balanced overall.

The fourth is second best. I like it as a photo, but as a fashion photo I'm not sure. I seems like maybe the clothes, because of the wide angle, are too small in the frame. Like, if I saw this in a magazine I'm not sure that the clothes would really demand my attention as much as the environment in which the clothes are in. I think cropping a little off the sides and top would keep the viewer's eye from wandering thinking "oh look there's a guy in a chair, but wow look at that room. Where is he?"

Just my opinions. I don't shoot hardly any fashion at all, so I'm just going off of "what would I like to see in a magazine ad." lol

How do you enter as a photographer for such an event? Do you have to be hired or do yuo just pay a fee to shoot there?

I was hired as the photographer. I shot the event for fun, the designers ended up asking for the shots to use in their catalogs, and thus the event organizers and I communicated often, and my work passed over their desk quite often. But to answer your question, no you don't pay a fee, you're hired.

There's something about the first two compositions that just doesn't sit right with me.

I think it's because the first is horizontal, and with that hairdo it almost seems opposite of what it should be since the model is much more vertical than horizontal. If it was done for copy then I understand. I also don't like the lighting setup. The shadows aren't too deep but they're still there under her brow. And it's a bit uneven with the top camera-left of her face being brighter and having splotchy lighting down towards her chin into the other side of her face. It just seems inconsistent. I think this is the weakest photo.

The second has a weird composition. It almost looks like it's trying too hard with the mirror showing the front of the garment and her hand over her head showing the bracelets. And with the texture of the walls being reflected in the mirror along with the frame of the mirror intersecting her. It just seems like too much to me.

The third is great. It shows the clothes off well, the lighting is flattering and pleasant, and the photo is very balanced overall.

The fourth is second best. I like it as a photo, but as a fashion photo I'm not sure. I seems like maybe the clothes, because of the wide angle, are too small in the frame. Like, if I saw this in a magazine I'm not sure that the clothes would really demand my attention as much as the environment in which the clothes are in. I think cropping a little off the sides and top would keep the viewer's eye from wandering thinking "oh look there's a guy in a chair, but wow look at that room. Where is he?"

Just my opinions. I don't shoot hardly any fashion at all, so I'm just going off of "what would I like to see in a magazine ad." lol

I totally agree with the first one. It was just a shot I took in between setting up for the next shoot, so the lights weren't really set or anything. I believe the final image is vertical in relation to the model.

Personally, I like the second. I should have mentioned it was for a dance company. I think that's what makes it a little less awkward for me.

In the fourth, I don't think the idea was to show the clothing. More so, to bring attention to the shot, as it'll be used as an ad for the event, not a designer. That's why we have him falling.

Thanks so much for your C&C! It's greatly​ appreciated!

I love working with mirrors, but they can be tricky. There's a lot of arm pit going on in the second. The third is just cool. Love all the geometric patterns then the model in the middle all askew.

I think Manual was saying even if the photo was taken with a cheap camera, he'd still click it to view the lovely lady :)

I love working with mirrors, but they can be tricky. There's a lot of arm pit going on in the second. The third is just cool. Love all the geometric patterns then the model in the middle all askew.

I think Manual was saying even if the photo was taken with a cheap camera, he'd still click it to view the lovely lady :)

Mirrors are normally a nightmare. :p They insisted though. We though, I returned three different shots. The mirror one and:

IMG_1376 by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

IMG_1627 by ZackCarpenterPhotography, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back