Fast Lens ?

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Guys ...

I just joined the forum and this looks like a place I'm gonna be spending a lot of my time on!

I had a question about getting a fast lens for my DSLR.

I have a Nikon D40 & the following Lens':
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm.

I wanted to get another lens but this one for indoor shots with low light conditions.

I know having the D40 I am limited to a small range of lens.

I wanted to get your recommendations!

The 50mm f1.8 prime lens can be had for less than $100 and is quite sharp. Fast zoom lenses will cost you some $$.

I don't have one myself. But when you ask "what is a good indoor sports lens?" nine times out of ten the responses are 85mm F1.8. It's very fast, and sharp, decently cheap. I know the Canon one is about $360, not sure about the nikon. I am not even sure if the nikon version is any good, but the Canon people really like the Canon version

You need to give us a little more information with which to work; what is your budget, and what sort of 'indoor' shots will you be doing. Suitable lenses could range from <$100 (50mm 1.8) to $6500 (200 - 400mm 2.8).

Yes, yes, yes everybody raves on the 50mm and the 85mm is to die for if you have the room to work with it. If you're intent on getting a MF lens for your D40, have a gander at the 35mm f/2 AF-D. Sweet lens.

The Nikon 85 f/1.8 is around $450 i believe i would like to get up but im sorta leaning towards the 80-200 f/2.8

Yes, yes, yes everybody raves on the 50mm and the 85mm is to die for if you have the room to work with it. If you're intent on getting a MF lens for your D40, have a gander at the 35mm f/2 AF-D. Sweet lens.

Heck, while we're blowing his budget, how about the 58mm f1? :lol:

Wow! I am overwhelmed with the responses!! I just got back from leaving work and I've gotten some great information.

I am looking to take some nice indoor shots of family get togethers .... our dogs .... and maybe some indoor basketball pictures.

I ref youth basketball and when it comes to taking pictures I'm in charge of taking pictures so I will run with my fellow refs on court to get some close shots, but would love some better results than what I have gotten so far with my 2 lens.

My budget is around $300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back