[FEELER] Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 Nikon mount (minor damage)

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just putting this out there: I have a Tokina 11-16/2.8 lens in a Nikon mount. There a couple of minor things wrong with it:
  • There is a small dent in the rear element. I don't know how it happened (and, in case you're wondering, I've hated myself every day since it happened :grumpy:) It causes very minor visual effects (see pictures below) in pictures.
  • The zoom grip is slightly loose in one spot. This should quite easily repaired with application of any half-decent adherent.

The lens is otherwise in perfect condition:
  • focus is dead-on
  • aperture blades are perfect
  • lens mount is snappy and tight
  • servo tolerances are strong
  • it's still very sharp and usable

The lens:
$DSC_7106.jpg

Close-up of the dent:

Apparent effect at f/22:

Apparent effect at f/16:

Apparent effect at f/11:

I can't see any effect at larger apertures.

Here are a few real-life pictures taken with the lens "post-dent". Hopefully, they demonstrate what effect (if any) it would have for you...

Why am I thinking of selling it? I'm a ridiculous, obsessed perfectionist to the point of fault and it drives me nuts ;)

I suppose this would be a good opportunity for someone who is looking for an affordable entry into ultra-wide territory and doesn't mind spending a bit of extra time in post processing ... or for someone who is knowledgeable about lens repair and could fix it on-the-cheap.

Is there any interest here?

I would be thinking somewhere in the realm of $450 CAD (about half of what I paid for it), but I'm not stubborn about that price either. I may be enticed to deal if you've got something to trade that interests me.

Just a reminder that this is a feeler only. I was checking to see if there is interest and it seems there is. I need to wait for a few things to fall into place and then I'll decide whether it's worthwhile for me to put it up for sale.

Thanks, everyone.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back