epp_b
No longer a newbie, moving up!
- Joined
- Aug 22, 2008
- Messages
- 2,135
- Reaction score
- 12
- Location
- True North Cold and Freezing
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
Just putting this out there: I have a Tokina 11-16/2.8 lens in a Nikon mount. There a couple of minor things wrong with it:
The lens is otherwise in perfect condition:

The lens:

Close-up of the dent:


Apparent effect at f/22:

Apparent effect at f/16:

Apparent effect at f/11:



I can't see any effect at larger apertures.
Here are a few real-life pictures taken with the lens "post-dent". Hopefully, they demonstrate what effect (if any) it would have for you...




Why am I thinking of selling it? I'm a ridiculous, obsessed perfectionist to the point of fault and it drives me nuts
I suppose this would be a good opportunity for someone who is looking for an affordable entry into ultra-wide territory and doesn't mind spending a bit of extra time in post processing ... or for someone who is knowledgeable about lens repair and could fix it on-the-cheap.
Is there any interest here?
- There is a small dent in the rear element. I don't know how it happened (and, in case you're wondering, I've hated myself every day since it happened
) It causes very minor visual effects (see pictures below) in pictures. - The zoom grip is slightly loose in one spot. This should quite easily repaired with application of any half-decent adherent.
The lens is otherwise in perfect condition:
- focus is dead-on
- aperture blades are perfect
- lens mount is snappy and tight
- servo tolerances are strong
- it's still very sharp and usable

The lens:

Close-up of the dent:

Apparent effect at f/22:
Apparent effect at f/16:
Apparent effect at f/11:


I can't see any effect at larger apertures.
Here are a few real-life pictures taken with the lens "post-dent". Hopefully, they demonstrate what effect (if any) it would have for you...
Why am I thinking of selling it? I'm a ridiculous, obsessed perfectionist to the point of fault and it drives me nuts
I suppose this would be a good opportunity for someone who is looking for an affordable entry into ultra-wide territory and doesn't mind spending a bit of extra time in post processing ... or for someone who is knowledgeable about lens repair and could fix it on-the-cheap.
Is there any interest here?