Few pics...

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Mewle, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Mewle

Mewle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You're the photographer; if you're happy with them, then you did them right. The beauty of art is that there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Could they be improved? Yes, I think so. #1 is suffering from over-exposure in the petals of the flower; the white is over-exposed to the point of being "blown" or pure white without detail. Reducing your exposure by a stop or so, would have allowed for some of that detail to be preserved. I suspect your camera's meter was fooled by the bright area surrounded by dark. Consider reading your manual's section on 'metering modes' with special attention to spot and centre-weighted modes.
    Both mushroom images suffer from the same issue, 'though the second is somewhat more pronounced. Lenses, especially consumer 'kit' lenses don't like to be pointed toward the sun. This has caused the excessive purple in the background and the general hazy appearance. Moving around 30 or 40 degrees would have elminated this and resulted in sharp, clear images.

3. Emanuel M

Emanuel M No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    These were taken with the iPhone 4 :p
    He couldn't control anything ;)

Cheers

4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    what tirediron said plus.

On the second one, you have a lot of 'stuff' on the sides that doesn't contribute anything. A 'portrait' position for the camera would help focus attention on the mushrooms.
    Directly in back of the target, there are some bright distracting flowers. This is like taking a picture of a person and having a light pole come out of their head in the background. It breaks concentration and hurts the scene.

(he could turn the iPhone on its side and move a bit)

mushrooms.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The busiest issue is not the camera it's the bad lighting in all the photos. Even a old cellphone can take nice photos if you use good lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Really? You can't control your position with respect to the direction of light? You can't control your camera angle? You can control lots, you just have to think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Emanuel M

Photos OK to edit
    You can't change the lenses nor the exposure ;)

8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    I could easily change the exposure by forcing the flash or shading the scene with my hand/hat/shirt.

9. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I change lenses and exposure on my iPhone all the time. I can't think of a camera app out there that does not give some form of exposure control. I also have lenses from moment.co that are top quality lenses with multiple glass elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Emanuel M

Photos OK to edit
    Quality lenses on the iPhone?!
    No way - a lens on top of another lens don't work...

Cheers

11. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Why don't we all get back on track and comment on the photos rather than the equipment used for the photos? We have enough threads comparing equipment.

I like the colors of #2, but as was stated previously, I do wish the composition was slightly different so that the flowers in the background weren't so distracting.

12. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

1) I would have touched the screen over the white of the flower to try and get that with a good exposure and just let the background go dark. Also, there is one other small flower in the shot and I feel that unbalances it a bit, either do it without the second or find a third flower to include.
    2) The mushrooms are just fighting with too much other junk. I would have pulled the dead leaf running through the mushrooms (like lifting a twig on a golf green).
    3) Like the previous shot; the subject is right in the center and there are some distracting items (like the blades of grass in front of the subject that need a trimming). The backlighting is sometimes fashionable, but I would also look to get the shot with the light coming in from the side. Also, try using your hat or other object held out with your other hand to control the light (and close-up shots often need more light on the subject so might add a simple reflector to bounce some light in there).