Fight Club - Round 153: Results are in!

No, you can't vote for yourself, I believe the powers that be discard those who vote for themselves.

1. tools - coltsfanatic1
2. elemental - MonicaBH
3. power - MonicaBH
4. natural - coltsfanatic1
5. distinct - Gaerek

Tools - coltsfanatic1
Elemental - MonicaBH
Power - user3977
Natural - rlemert
Distinct - user3977

Oops, I posted the wrong picture for distinct. Can I reupload?

PM me a link and I'll update it, but this is one-time special favor and I expect the check to be in the mail this evening. ;)

No, you can't vote for yourself, I believe the powers that be discard those who vote for themselves.

Technically there's no rule against voting for yourself, but it's always been kind of an unspoken taboo. I don't think it's ever actually happened. I imagine that it would be kind of a self-correcting problem, i.e. if someone actually cast votes for themselves, then everyone else would stop voting for them. The game has never been that competitive though; we all do this for fun and to practice our photography skills, so I really doubt it will ever come to that.

What I would really like to do is discard votes for people that don't vote, because even when it's an honest mistake, it can tip the scales a bit in their favor (because that's five votes that would go to the competition). It might be worth discussing, but it would also make posting results a bit more of a headache.

Not finger pointing, but rlemert votes for their own photos :) I was just curious as to the rules on that.

Since my name is being casually thrown around, it might behoove me to respond here.

Believe me, I gave the matter some serious thought before voting as I am never comfortable voting for myself -even when its for something like an elective office that I want to win. It's not something I do lightly, and if the consensus is that it's a big no-no then let me know and I'll stop. I would suggest, though, that it be made clear in the rules that the practice is prohibited.

For the record, the only thing I found in the rules regarding this is the following:

1. Vote for your favorite photo in each category. Voting goes for the next week. (while the next round is open)

However, consider the following. Since there's no real prize on the line here - except for people pampering their egos - there's no real harm in the practice. Furthermore, I'm sure that everyone has had instances where they felt - for whatever reason - that their own pictures were better than the rest. Maybe you don't think that anyone else captured the topic. Voting for yourself in this case is at least being honest; the alternative could easily be not voting for anyone in that category.

Either way, it will probably help to avoid future understandings if there's a clear statement in the rules about whether or not voting for yourself is allowed.

However, I think we also need to consider the following. Since there's no real prize on the line here - except for people pampering their egos, there's no real harm in the practice. Furthermore, I'm sure that everyone has had instances where they felt - for whatever reason - that their own pictures were better than the rest. Maybe you don't think that anyone else captured the topic. Voting for yourself in this case is at least being honest; the alternative could easily be not voting for anyone in that category.

This is exactly the reason why it's frowned upon. If there were a prize, I would fully expect anyone who wanted to win to vote for themselves. And I would think anyone who wanted to win would be crazy not to vote for themselves. I mean, if we found out that Barack Obama had actually voted for John McCain, everyone (on both sides of the aisle) would think he was crazy. The fact that it's just a friendly competition, and something that most people use as a way to practice their photography means that it makes even less sense to vote for yourself. Here's the other reason. It makes you think critically about others photos without the bias of your own clouding your judgement. If this causes you not to vote on a topic, then so be it. If you are confident that you were the only one to capture the topic, then you should get the most votes anyway, without a vote for yourself.

Having said that, I do think it makes sense that there should be some written rule on this matter. I personally don't care, either way what the rules state. I know that either way, for the purposes of this exercise (which is exactly how I see the Fight Club, a photographic exercise), I won't ever vote for myself, because I personally believe that it cheapens the spirit of this friendly competition.

Tools - Coltsfanatic1
Elemental - MonicaBH
Power - MonicaBH
Natural - rlemert
Distinct -
Animaniac888

Oops, I posted the wrong picture for distinct. Can I reupload?

PM me a link and I'll update it, but this is one-time special favor and I expect the check to be in the mail this evening. ;)

Technically there's no rule against voting for yourself, but it's always been kind of an unspoken taboo. I don't think it's ever actually happened. I imagine that it would be kind of a self-correcting problem, i.e. if someone actually cast votes for themselves, then everyone else would stop voting for them. The game has never been that competitive though; we all do this for fun and to practice our photography skills, so I really doubt it will ever come to that.

What I would really like to do is discard votes for people that don't vote, because even when it's an honest mistake, it can tip the scales a bit in their favor (because that's five votes that would go to the competition). It might be worth discussing, but it would also make posting results a bit more of a headache.

I like that idea, especially when there is only 3 or 4 players, it can make a huge swing.

it is for fun..so its whatever though. lol

1. tools - Animaniac888
2. elemental - user3977
3. power - MonicaBH
4. natural - PinkDoor
5. distinct - Gaerek

1. Gaerek
2. MonicaBH
3. MonicaBH
4. PinkDoor
5. Gaerek

1)tools: Gaerek