Film preference?

In my darkroom classes I recommend that beginners use either trix or hp5+ as they are more forgiving.

However, if you are going to be scanning the negatives you might check with your instructor as c-41 films tend to scan better.

Perhaps Helen will pop in and add her take on the scanning /black and white negative options.

Since you're taking a class, you might want to make sure there isn't some specific film they want you to use... Sometimes they'll want the whole class to use the same film/developer for everything...

If that were the case, hopefully they would have told you though. :lol: Kodak Plus-X is probably the one I see most film classes asking you to use. (Arista Premium 100 at Freestyle is the same thing. But if they're asking for a specific film, I would just get whatever that is.)

If it doesn't matter which film you use, that's still a good one to start with. Basically, any Kodak/Fuji/Ilford/Arista/Legacy 100 or 400 ISO film would be a good starting point until you figure out what you like.

i am taking a digital photography class... its all that is offered at my school. to be honest, i can safely say i know 90% of the curriculum already, but my incentive is to take as many photo classes as i can, because i can/will never know everything, and i will most always learn something​. well... i hope that's the case ;D

ah, too bad.

However, it is a good thing that your taking advantage of the situation.

Perhaps your insturctor has a traditional background and can shed some light on films best for scanning.

ah, too bad.

However, it is a good thing that your taking advantage of the situation.

Perhaps your insturctor has a traditional background and can shed some light on films best for scanning.

yeah, she definitely has a traditional background, in fact her personal interest is in alternative methods for developing\producing photographs.

i will be sure to ask her, thank you!

It depends on the speed you want. I've tried most all brands, and here's what I use:

100iso = Fujifilm acros 100
400iso = kodak tmax
3200iso = kodak tmax 3200

It depends on the speed you want. I've tried most all brands, and here's what I use:

100iso = Fujifilm acros 100
400iso = kodak tmax
3200iso = kodak tmax 3200

this is b&w correct? and for what reason would somebody shoot say.. 400 iso film as opposed to 100 iso? i'm still foggy on the concept of "film speed"

Grain pattern is different, built in contrast is different, and basically they have a different "look". Then of course there is the level of light needed but that is the similar to digital.

update (for those of you who care)

got my nikon FM, and today i got a nikon FG-20 from my grandpa in excellent condition w/ a vivitar 550fd flash, a second e series 50mm f/1.8, an albinar 80-200, a **** ton of film cartridges, and some macro filters!

happy birthday to tevo... literally actually

Most reactions

Back