Film Query

montresor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Am thinking of rolling my own. Looking around on the net, I see there's 100' of Agfapan ISO 400 available for about $30.00. Can anyone report on Agfapan -- charscteristics, etc.?

I really like Agfapan, and much prefer it to Kodak and Ilford B+W films, although that is opinion of course and I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with those. I would say that generally APX has a "softer" look to it than Kodak films, perhaps is a bit lower contrast, but not as soft as Ilford. Of course I'm sure how each is developed has a lot to do with it, but the results I have had from APX have been pretty consistently similar (developed at a lab). I have not used 400, only 100 and 25. Here are a some examples.

APX25
Greenwich-Village.jpg

Misao-01.jpg

APX100
Misao-02.jpg

Walkway.jpg

This is TMAX400
Redstone-02.jpg

And this is Ilford HP5+
Astoria.jpg

I realize that may be of limited use for comparison but I think it shows some of what I perceive as the "family" traits of the brands.

Dave

Wow, the Agfa looks great -- outstanding photos too. I haven't used T-Max for years, it looks as harshly contrasty as I recall (though it was interesting in a Holga, I thought....). Will have to look into Agfa's lower ISOs as well, they have a wonderful tonal range. Thanks for the side-by-side postings!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back